Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge.thumb.jpg.b7f10f594317507d0f40662231b0d9a8.jpg

Moonshane

NGC 7789 Caroline's Rose

I have seen this (i seem to recall naked eye) from a dark site but at home even with my usual weapon 12" f4 dob I cannot seem to detect it. I'll have a better look over the winter sometime but I wondered if others struggle with it given a fair degree of light pollution as at my site. I perhaps need to increase magnification as I was only using about 45x last night while looking at the comet briefly.

I had a glimpse of 7789 earlier this season with my ST80.  My star atlas showed it as one of the larger clusters in the area and although it wasn't spectacular (as far as I can remember) my notes say that I could resolve some of the outer stars.  I was using x26 on that one.

Not sure if it was a naked eye object - next clear night I'll have a look...

• Like 1

Hiya,

I'm very fortunate, living and observing in a dark rural location, and can find the cluster quite readily (even with binos). It's not ever so bright, though (Stellarium has it at mag 6.7, which is considerably dimmer than, say, the Double Cluster in Perseus) so would present a problem when viewing's hampered by light pollution.

Kev

• Like 1

I’m definitely dealing with some light pollution. Skies around 19 SQM but I was able to get it under those conditions even with my old 130mm reflector. I do find it easy to pass over though when scanning. I think 45x mag should be fine. 

• Like 1

LOL, I suspect it's a light pollution issue. But I'll go to Specsavers. 😜

I'll report back once I have a more intense look 

11 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

LOL, I suspect it's a light pollution issue. But I'll go to Specsavers. 😜

I'll report back once I have a more intense look 

I struggle with it too from home Shane, I find it fairly subtle under LP so am sure that's your problem.

• Like 1

I have seen this several times in the Tal from home does need a bit more mag bring the stars out.

• Like 1

I think that I have seen it best with a 13mm, mid power eyepiece, 14" dob at a dark site. A splendid spectacle whether applied to smaller and larger aperture, at a dark site when at high elevation. 

• Like 4

Yep.  As the above 2 posts. 

It is a very rich cluster! 

Works well through a range of apertures and magnifications.

Must be a LP issue...or Specsavers  :)

Cheers 

Paul 

Never seen it naked eye under approx. 21 mag skies, but in all my binos and scopes. It's very rich and dense, more "milky" than "grainy", but reacts good to increased magnification, revealing the "petal" structure elements. Splendid in the 18" with the 30mmf/77° Wild Heerbrugg military surplus eyepiece!

Stephan

• Like 1

I've never seen it naked eye and this object from dark skies and with increased mag sure looks great. Not sure if dust lanes are involved with the superb petal structures but they sure stand out making this a favorite object.

• Like 3

It's one of the wonders from a dark sky . Fill the eyepiece at x150 with this most gorgeous of clusters. The swirls and lanes are just perfection , one to linger over ! I can't imagine the thrill of discovering it. An easy hop from Caph,

Nick.

• Like 2

I was certainly in the right place before but a little more magnification helped bring it out. Still not impressive at home yet. Might be better when I can get and keep my eyes as adapted as they get at home anyhow, when my obs is made.

• Like 1

On 21/12/2018 at 03:23, jetstream said:

Not sure if dust lanes are involved with the superb petal structures

I would agree, I've always thought they were just gaps in the patterns of stars rather than dust lanes?

It is a clear sight in my 10x50 bins from a dark site. And truly wonderful through the Dob. From home it ranges from delicate to non-existent!

I think it was one of Nick’s posts that made me keep at this one. Well worth the patience.

Paul