Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge.thumb.jpg.b7f10f594317507d0f40662231b0d9a8.jpg

Hailfire101

Looking to upgrade from the 200p

Hi All.

I was wondering how much of an upgrade, for photography, is the Sky-Watcher Esprit 120 ED PRO Triplet  to the 200p?

Really want to get into the details and sharpness of the skies.

Thanks

What is wrong with your 200p? I presume you are mounting it on EQ6 mount? What is your guiding like?

I don't think that you will find details and sharpness in smaller scope and depending on issues, maybe answer lies elsewhere - different coma corrector maybe?

I was just under the impression a a frac is better than a reflector for photography? 

I am mounted on an EQ6, but I belive a 150ED with cameras and so on would be too heavy. 

So considering the 120ED if it would produce clearer sharper shots. 

People recommend refractors for AP because they are easy to work with - no collimation involved (hassle free approach). Other than that reflectors are equally potent AP scopes, and sometimes better then refractors - try getting 10" refractor for AP :D , while people happily use 10" and above reflectors to image.

Sharpness of shots depends on several factors, aperture being one of them, so it does not make sense to go with smaller scope if you want to get sharper shot. It does however make sense if you are having trouble with 200p and guiding - it is large scope and while EQ6 can carry it, you might be having issues with wind or mounting of it (not sturdy enough). Tracking and guiding performance is another factor of sharp images. Third is not something that we can control - it is the seeing.

It would be really good to understand why your images lack sharpness in the first place before jumping to smaller scope - it might happen that reason for images being less than sharp lies elsewhere and not OTA.

Another thing that you mention is clarity of images? Can you explain what you mean by that? Do your images contain too much noise or something else is making them look "unclear"?

I would also like to mention that I'm not trying to dissuade you from getting Esprit 120 - I think it is very good scope and certainly fine photographic instrument. If you have funds and you have your eye set on it - by all means.

My motivation is to understand what is actually wrong with your imaging to be able to offer best advice.

• Like 1

Hi vlaiv, 
Technically, nothing 'wrong' with the 200p and my images. (Lots wrong with my processing, but that's a learning curve I'm working on).
I was just under the impression, that a frac would be better? Better colours and so on, especially a triplet.
Isnt this why people go for the amazing Taks?

I have a skywatcher 200p as well. I was under the impression to get focused images with a DSLR you had to adjust the primary mirror up the tube. 

I haven't tried this yet so don't know. Until now I have kept my sessions mostly visual.

7 hours ago, 5haan_A said:

I have a skywatcher 200p as well. I was under the impression to get focused images with a DSLR you had to adjust the primary mirror up the tube. 

I haven't tried this yet so don't know. Until now I have kept my sessions mostly visual.

Depends on the focuser.... its 'better' for DSLR to move it up the tube, due to lack of back focus. 
However, I'm using a ASI1600mm-pro and the Moonlite Focuser, so no issues with back focus at all.
Just want the tightest and best optics I can afford.  But if there's not much difference in the 200p to a triplet, why bother? :)

You got some real nice gear there.

How does the moonlite focuser help?

I'm in a similar position to you, I'm thinking of upgrading my skywatcher 200p. I currently have a dobsonian mount so would need to upgrade that as well if I was going to get a lot more serious about AP.

Well, the Moonlite is MUCH more solid, so holds the camera better and no wobble.
But also, you can set the focuser closer to the tube, so it gives you more back focus.  
The issue I had was that the back focus on the DSLR  was at a point where I couldn't use EP's for viewing if my Moonlite was setup for the camera.
Now I'm on the ASI1600mm the back focus is similar to an EP, so i don't need to faff if I want to view or image. :)
If you have a 200p, the moonlie focuser is one of the BEST, if not the best mod you can do.