SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What to use for an Observing Chair?

Olli

I've been thinking about this and I reckon a good object would be a strong wooden box, constructed with different dimensions for height, width and depth.  Then just roll it onto the surface that you want for the needed height.   With a bit of imagination and a couple of hinges it might even be possible to add a 'lid' and use it for transporting 'stuff' to the observing site too, or maybe for keeping a cushion inside.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a Hernia repair operation about ten years ago, and I suffer when standing still for more than half an hour or so, (a common problem I'm told).

Consequently a seat is vital for me so I studied the options and initially bought the ironing board seat shown in an earlier post on this thread. I found it worked really well. Cheap, comfortable, light, strongly built (I weigh 100kg), and relatively easy to adjust.  True, the long bolt is more awkward than simply sliding the seat up and down, but it is a bomb-proof solution, and I'm thinking of trying a drop-nose pin instead, which will not need the small plastic knob-nut, and I'll attach the pin with a short chain, so that nothing ca be dropped and lost in the dark.

One of the reasons I bought it was because it was so much more affordable than the Skywatcher seats. The funny thing though, is that when a skywatcher did come up cheaply secondhand I bought it, and I find it far less satisfactory.  It is more flimsy, bulkier when folded, and the seat angle is less comfortable.  It is the newer model with the "safety" spring to avoid sudden drops, but I still find the cheapo ironing board chair much easier and more comfortable to use.

ironing chair.JPG

drop nose pin.png

I have one of these. Really is spot on. Very easy to adjust in the dark.  It can also be adjusted so you are nearly flat on your back, good for binocular work.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/geoptik-nadira-astronomy-observing-chair.html

I would avoid the metal type where you just lift the seat to adjust.  I bought one of them nd nearly broke my back sitting on it. It would not hold its height position. So it got sent back as not fit for purpose.

Archived