Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge.thumb.jpg.b7f10f594317507d0f40662231b0d9a8.jpg

Olli

What to use for an Observing Chair?

Hi

Im currently looking around at getting a chair for observing eith my 8 inch dob. I had seen one on flo which looked ideal but was ¬£160 ūüėĮ i was hoping for something a lot¬†¬†cheaper¬†which is lightweight. I was looking at ironing chairs but not sure if they would be durable enough. What do you use?

Thanks

Edited by Olli
  • Like 1

I don't use this one, but thought about it quite a lot (just need to get myself to find one):

MAY-151118-French_School_Silver_Vintage_

If it can be disassembled into three parts - it would be ideal - base (metal cross section) - stalk (part that goes up and down but is essentially a metal rod) and seat. I think it would be rather practical and portable.

• Like 1

Not the best picture but this one collapses and can be set in height. 

There is also a foot rest but I don't really use that one, as my scope is only F/4. 

IMG_7681.thumb.JPG.c935cc073889259cafddd688a6e3024b.JPG

• Like 2

hi, I am new here, just logged here today as I just got a telescope and intend to use my stool in the picture.  It is height adjustable and truly cheap, got it locally (Malta) for about 25 euro

WIN_20181217_214140 (2).JPG

• Like 3

I see a lot of people use chairs. Personally I don't, but then again my scope is on a tripod. If I had a chair I'd probably trip over it in he dark.¬†ūüôĄ

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I use an ironing chair,  but it's not easily adjustable, so may start looking for alternatives in the new year

A very tall friend of mine uses a heavy duty tool box - which he also keeps all his other astro stuff in, so two birds with one stone...

• Like 1

Modified ironing chair, I've been using it for about 8 years, possibly more.

Edited by michaelmorris
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Whistlin Bob said:

I've got one of those too.  In my experience whilst adjustment is not difficult I don't find it quick.  It has a long thin bolt which needs to be completely removed then the seat needs moving and the bolt reinserting through the set of holes and the bolt replacing.  This is not straightforward outdoors in the dark.  I tried mine a couple of times and now it is in the back of the shed and if I do get it out I only use it set at one height.  What I got hold of was a couple of cheap light bar stools from ebay I have one set high and one set lower and just swap between them and its really easy.

I use an ironing stool. I don't adjust it very much, just lean forwards a tad if the eyepiece is a bit low, or sit straight if it's higher. Not ideal, but better than standing!

Eric.

No longer available but easy to make, I use an Ikea draughtsman's stool which is essentially just a bicycle saddle and seat post on a tripod with the usual cycling type quick release cam. This cost nothing and has lived outside for about 17 years.

Olly

• Like 1

The wooden observing chairs with cantilevered seats do look nice, but I'm not confident of their ability to carry my sylph-like 115 kgs.

James

They certainly can. Here's my prototype 

2 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

They certainly can. Here's my prototype

That's impressive.  I shall look at the design more closely.

God knows how much the quack would tell me I needed to lose if I ever actually went.  Probably at least five stone.  I like to think of these things as "two gallon bucket" equivalents, so at least three and a half buckets full of "me" to be got rid of.  I reckon if I lost that much people would be able to see my spine from the front :(

James

• Haha 1

Yeah according to BMI I need to lose about 4 stones. I'd look like a waif!

The chairs in my picture are what I am currently using for all my scopes, the first is similar to Leesuza's suggestion and does work well although after a season or two on the driveway the plastic wheels are showing a nasty bit of wear and I intend to replace them with 2" neoprene castors in spring as this chair does not make it outdoors too much in the winter because of snow and ice the rolling feature is quite ineffective, the second chair in my photo (left) is sold as a folding keyboard bench I have a few of these for when company comes to observe and I use them alot in winter...These are only adjustable from 17.5 to 19.5 inches have a nice thick warm padding of 3 inches and for those carrying a little extra padding (like me) themselves, its a very comfortable and sturdy roost and as well they fold up for travel and storage quite nicely.

These keyboard benches are cheap, strong, comfortable and available to most anyone globally.

Here is a link for descriptive or ordering purposes...Model PKBB1 

http://m.interstatemusic.com/54785-Yamaha-PKBB1-Portable-X-Style-Keyboard-Bench-PKBB1.aspx?sku=ST014&source=Google+Base_CASCIO&source=Google+Base_Cascio&utm_source=google&utm_medium=product&utm_campaign=gbase&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6dLL3oCw3wIVBglpCh3zegY6EAQYAyABEgLIIPD_BwE         

Best of Luck and Comfort,

¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬†Freddie ūüôā

AirBrush_20181214052142-01.jpeg

AirBrush_20181214052049.jpg

Edited by SIDO

On 17/12/2018 at 20:52, Olli said:

Hi

Im currently looking around at getting a chair for observing eith my 8 inch dob. I had seen one on flo which looked ideal but was ¬£160 ūüėĮ i was hoping for something a lot¬†¬†cheaper¬†which is lightweight. I was looking at ironing chairs but not sure if they would be durable enough. What do you use?

Thanks

Check with your local charity shops, and ask them to let  you know when any ironing board or or other portable type chairs come in.  I found each of these ironing board chairs and the other two drummer's stools in charity shops for ( £5 ) five pounds each. 

PICT0010 (Medium).JPG

PICT0003 (Medium).JPG

PICT0001 (Medium).JPG

When I saw this idea in Cloudy Nights I kicked myself for being too retarded to think of it myself. The red lines are wood boards, black represents the cushions. Feet keep the wood from touching the humid and/or dirty ground. Simply moving left and right allows to choose between two heights, and flipping the thing one quarter-turn permits two other heights.

20181221_222908.thumb.jpg.95d58343a27cc1dbabdbf570dc2cee17.jpg

20181221_222933.thumb.jpg.79e8e590937e53d92a25dafac48d538a.jpg 

Nothing to adjust in the dark, no moving parts, stability thanks to the large base, construction is dead simple, it's just a box. No difficult curvy cuts or slots. But best of all changing the height is super fast.

Edited by Ben the Ignorant