SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astro inspiration for 2019

Size9Hex

Just remembered another planned astro job for this year.

I have always wanted to image the splendid Antares region which is just too low from the UK.  It's also very large, so in 2017 I imaged it from our friend's patio in Spain with the DSLR and ioptron Skytracker.  It's all there but rather grainy as DSLRs can be.  

We are going back again this May and I have now got an adapter to fit my CCD camera to the Canon lens,  so am planning to get some luminance with the Atik460EX to add to my DSLR data to hopefully make a better LRGB image.

Fingers crossed it all works out.

Carole 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've resolved to reduce my pile of astro kit / gear / stuff to that which actually gets used (when the weather actually allows any use at all)... this process of reduction might take a while. :icon_rolleyes:

I don't get enough observing opportunities (clear sky) for anything to get boring, so I can just cruise the visible sky and be fully content. :happy11:

Interesting question, I would definitely like to do more more social astronomy, in particular:

• Visit Kelling Heath for some social observing
  • Go to some observing sessions North Essex Astro Soc.
  • Go to some meetings at Clacton Astro Soc (I am also doing a talk in November)
  • Go to at least one astro show

In the backyard, I’d like keep up my brief observing journal, but try some simple sketches to make it a bit more interesting to come back to. I managed around 35 observing sessions last year, including two very long periods of appalling weather, so hoping I can keep that up. ?

As many of you know astronomy took a back seat for most of 2018.
I've now got my mojo back and am rearing to go.
First on the list is pray for a break in these pesky clouds.
Must make an effort to keep notes, my record keeping ends with posting reports here.
Try and finish Lunar 100, been at it for a while and seem to have got stuck at about 86 objects seen.
Start white light solar observing.
Make the effort to go to a dark site.
Most important enjoy the whole experience.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a very quiet couple of months astronomy wise with the weather and other things in life needing to take precedence.

For 2019 I think my main goal is to keep my set ups simple and ready to go at short notice for short sessions as any other approach is going to result in very little observing happening.

I think I will look to get the most out of the kit I have and try to avoid accumulating more for a while. Sometimes I've had spells where more time is spent on researching, finding, and buying more kit than actually being out there and doing it.

I would like to do more outreach - I have found that to be very rewarding but I'm not sure if this will be possible this year as I already have too many commitments.

Archived