SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astro inspiration for 2019

Size9Hex

Motivation levels rise and fall but 2019 is a new year and a chance to refresh. 

So what are you excited about in terms of astro intentions for 2019? Inspire us all with your plans! 

• Complete that old observing list that’s 3/4ers done but stagnated for the last few years?
  • Tick off a famous bucket list target?
  • Tick of a specific esoteric left field target that has captured your imagination for some reason?
  • Start a new target list?
  • Forget lists completely and just enjoy the freedom?
  • Make a regular dark site trip?
  • Buy a new piece of kit to transform your viewing?
  • Simplify your kit?
  • Sketch more?
  • Start a log book?

For me, I think it’s going to be about making an effort to get back into dark site trips, but if at home then ticking less and sketching more.

What’s everyone else got in mind?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve got loads on my list. The Messier and RASC Finest NGCs lists still sit incomplete. Just tonight I created a new list of Quasars. I want to see how far I can see! Every year my observing evolves. Summer 2017, I got my first views of Sagittarius. Summer 2018, I learnt my way around Sagittarius without an atlas. Summer 2019 and I want to look for dark nebula within the Sagittarius star cloud (M24). There’s more to see than I could ever achieve in a life time! 

17 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Summer 2019 and I want to look for dark nebula within the Sagittarius star cloud (M24). There’s more to see than I could ever achieve in a life time! 

Good shout. I think you’ve just added one more to my own list!

7 minutes ago, Ags said:

Catch the Betelgeuse supernova in January. Hopefully no cloud. ?

I would like to catch a couple of comets and finally hunt down an asteroid or two. 

I keep glancing over at it, but it sure is taking its time!

Not quite so easy really to gain too much inspiration for 2019 as Peter stated, when 2018's aspirations are yet to be wholly realised. However going forward will I hope, involve yet more - occasional, dark sky trips possibly requiring overnight stopovers by camping, extending the travel distance a little further. I have an interest in bright, dark and reflection nebula which will continue to feature as a highlight on any agenda. 

I have two objects left to complete the Messier list so that's at the top of my observing priorities for 2019. They should have been visible by now but I have given up any hope of seeing them this year with the atrocious weather we've been having in South Wales.

20 hours ago, xtreemchaos said:

I be happy with 2 or 3 days a week with clear sky to be honist. charl.

Get aboard the I.S.S,   happy days all around the world !!   .....  not too sure about Polar Alignment though

20 hours ago, scarp15 said:

Not quite so easy really to gain too much inspiration for 2019 as Peter stated, when 2018's aspirations are yet to be wholly realised. However going forward will I hope, involve yet more - occasional, dark sky trips possibly requiring overnight stopovers by camping, extending the travel distance a little further. I have an interest in bright, dark and reflection nebula which will continue to feature as a highlight on any agenda. 

Sorry to hear that too. Your post and @Peter Drew‘s get me thinking about drawing happiness from what we have achieved rather than what we feel we haven’t. Some goals are black and white; Either achieved or not. Other goals are different; We could/should be delighted to have achieved the main, most important aspects, even if we haven’t ticked off the nice-to-have’s. If we didn’t achieve those final bits, with time, money and energy levels being so limited, perhaps those final bits aren’t so important to worry about and we should move on to the stuff that gets us excited today, rather than stuff that we thought we were excited about when made the original plans. These are just general thoughts/comments I should add - not to judge or make assumptions about anyone’s specific situation.

I hope those dark sky trips go well. I’ve drawn inspiration from your own excellent posts about upcoming faint stuff. And I suppose coming back to the above, have reconsidered some of my own observing goals as a result. Why spend time ticking off a few Caldwell list objects in the southern murk as per my old plans, when I’ve just learned of some awesome new cool thing that’s going straight to the top of the list?

I'm finding that my motivations in astronomy have been changing over the past 24 months and I can see this trend continuing into 2019 and beyond. I'm less interested these days in pursuing new and increasingly challenging targets myself but I really do enjoy showing other people classic sights in the sky, especially those who have little or no experience in viewing through a telescope or astronomy in general.

So my intention for 2019 is to take as many opportunities to get involved in outreach activities as possible and to increase the numbers of other people that have looked though my scopes :smiley:

6 minutes ago, John said:

I'm finding that my motivations in astronomy have been changing over the past 24 months and I can see this trend continuing into 2019 and beyond. I'm less interested these days in pursuing new and increasingly challenging targets myself but I really do enjoy showing other people classic sights in the sky, especially those who have little or no exprerience in viewing through a telescope or astronomy in general.

So my intention for 2019 is to take as many opportunities to get involved in outreach activities as possible and to increase the numbers of other people that have looked though my scopes :smiley:

?  That’s an awesome and really generous plan.

22 hours ago, xtreemchaos said:

I be happy with 2 or 3 days a week with clear sky to be honist. charl.

I'm with you charl. I look forward to just getting out and enjoying myself. The only list I've taken seriously is the Lunar 100 which seems to be stubbornly stuck at 84. 

I'll take this chance to wish all members an enjoyable and successful 2019, whatever their goals.

26 minutes ago, Astro Imp said:

I'll take this chance to wish all members an enjoyable and successful 2019, whatever their goals.

Thanks Alan - same from me!  (And good to see you back after (I believe) a bit of a break!)

@Size9Hex - Paul - I'd just go with getting out and seeing what's on show - it usually leads to something interesting or surprising.  As for keeping a log, that's something I've always done and would recommend highly.

Doug.

1 hour ago, Size9Hex said:

Sorry to hear that too. Your post and @Peter Drew‘s get me thinking about drawing happiness from what we have achieved rather than what we feel we haven’t. Some goals are black and white; Either achieved or not. Other goals are different; We could/should be delighted to have achieved the main, most important aspects, even if we haven’t ticked off the nice-to-have’s. If we didn’t achieve those final bits, with time, money and energy levels being so limited, perhaps those final bits aren’t so important to worry about and we should move on to the stuff that gets us excited today, rather than stuff that we thought we were excited about when made the original plans. These are just general thoughts/comments I should add - not to judge or make assumptions about anyone’s specific situation.

I hope those dark sky trips go well. I’ve drawn inspiration from your own excellent posts about upcoming faint stuff. And I suppose coming back to the above, have reconsidered some of my own observing goals as a result. Why spend time ticking off a few Caldwell list objects in the southern murk as per my old plans, when I’ve just learned of some awesome new cool thing that’s going straight to the top of the list?

Quite agree Paul, firstly that it is great to just reflect on past astronomy adventures, recalling the thrill of pursuit and often the effort involved. Secondarily, the spark of new incentives often through conversing on this forum, never ceases - we do influence, inform and inspire each other. Actually I have had a bit of slack time today working from home and caught up on a particular thread that had got me researching and compiling details concerning particular Dark (and Reflection) Nebulae that are gaining in prominence, should the holiday period over new year week provide an opportunity to go in search of. 

I think that I have become more relaxed, in that if for example a new moon period comes and goes without any observing gained, I do not feel disappointedly that I have missed out, instead recall what I encountered at this time perhaps last year or the year previous. There are plenty of other pursuits to fill in the time and so much still yet to academically learn and draw stimulation from.

I'm going for something quite obvious  - the Messier list - but all through my ST80. 2019 will only be my second year with a scope, so it's a good way to really get to know the sky.  I do have dark skies, so it should be possible (so I'm told) - but maybe lacking in terms of 'wow' moments.  

I imagine I will also spend just as much time as I did this year drooling ? over 'the scope I'm getting next ' which really does change on a daily basis. (But we all do that right?)

Plans?....to get out more with Swampthing and Mapstar....a bonus if it's clear!

It's the company and remoteness I enjoy. I've had so many planned sessions end up fruitless that now I go observing with a hey how attitude,  gets too frustrating if I don't....clear skies.

3 hours ago, John said:

A laudable goal, John.  I wish you every success with it.

James

Archived