SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I'd almost forgotten what to do

johnfosteruk

Having not captured anything for a month and a half due to a busy schedule and hideous ever present clag, not only did I get lucky with 46p last night I also managed to grab 100 frames on our nearest neighbour.

I do love this time of year (when it is clear) with the cold temperatures you have at least a fighting chance of a steady atmosphere and last night was no exception. I stacked 75 frames of the 100 and the result is reasonable. Best viewed full size.

751985118_moon16-12-18.thumb.png.76708d125441e1939049a25f79fc462e.png

Good capture, but there seems to be an issue with processing (or my eyes for that matter :D )

Top part of the image looks like it is out of alignment - almost like double image (I have not been drinking, honestly :D ) - maybe not enough align points, or too sparse, to properly align things? 

Thanks all.

23 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Good capture, but there seems to be an issue with processing (or my eyes for that matter :D )

Top part of the image looks like it is out of alignment - almost like double image (I have not been drinking, honestly :D ) - maybe not enough align points, or too sparse, to properly align things? 

I'm not seeing it (which doesn't mean it's not there). It's definitely not an AP problem whatever it is, I used c. 20k of 'em.

14 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

Thanks all.

I'm not seeing it (which doesn't mean it's not there). It's definitely not an AP problem whatever it is, I used c. 20k of 'em.

I'm looking at it now, and it indeed might be down to my eyes - an optical illusion sort of. I'm going to explain why I thought it was alignment issue, but on further scrutiny it does not seem that it is in fact alignment issue, but to my brain it screams so (don't know why).

image.png.579e37b9f2ec05bc7b8c6e122137614b.png

Just notice marked features and then look at original image (without markers) but pay attention to those features. I'm interested to see if anyone else gets this "double image" brain response triggered.

18 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

I'm looking at it now, and it indeed might be down to my eyes - an optical illusion sort of. I'm going to explain why I thought it was alignment issue, but on further scrutiny it does not seem that it is in fact alignment issue, but to my brain it screams so (don't know why).

image.png.579e37b9f2ec05bc7b8c6e122137614b.png

Just notice marked features and then look at original image (without markers) but pay attention to those features. I'm interested to see if anyone else gets this "double image" brain response triggered.

That makes sense, I see it now. The 'double' craters are easy - Main & Challis (middle pair) for example, I think the apparent section of double limb is a cluster of craters that normally hide around the other side, including She Shen and Petermann. Notice that Mare Humboldtianum is fully visible as well. 

Archived