Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Montreal, Canada

SpaceMan-stHenri

Hi there, 

Jon from Montreal, just saying hi.

Got my first REAL telescope today. Skywatcher Classic 200P Dobsonian 8". I say real cause the 2 other telescopes I've own have been bought at art store or toys r us. 

Unfortunately I have yet to use my new Dob' due to all this cloud cover, hopefully it will clear up at least for the weekend.

If any one has any advice to give me, about eye pieces etc..  feel free to

20181216_163416.jpg

Welcome to SGL! from a versatility POV you certainly chose the right scope, many years of "wow look at that" to come.

Oh and, Montreal is a beautiful city, my wife and i drive there once a year and eat at the fantastic restaurants.

Hi, Jon, and welcome to SGL.

Great first (real) scope. As regards extra eyepieces ... this can be a money-pit. My advice (often given, seldom heeded!) is not to buy any additional eyepieces until you know what you want and (more importantly) why  you want it. The eyepieces that come with the scope, although basic, will get you started and you will start to see some great things with them. One of the greatest skills you can develop is learning to "see" rather than just "look at". A great way of doing this is sketching. I'm not talking about anything you would dream of showing to anyone else (my sketches tend to have little crosses for stars) just to get into the habit of seeing the night sky and the objects it contains. Of course, if you have anything resembling artistic skills, there is a sketching board and we would love to see your results.

Getting back to eyepieces ... you will eventually reach the point where you start saying things like "I wish I could get a bigger view of X" or "I wish I had a slightly wider field of view so that I could see Y". This is the time to make a new purchase ... and with your reasons you will get some good (tailored) advice on here to help you part with your cash.

Enjoy the journey.

Archived