Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_peoples_choice_2018_banner.thumb.jpg.f1bf2f8261e1689d19f116486df2bc89.jpg

KevS

Best Astro "Senior Moment"

Far too many but I can't remember any now...

Edited by Gina
Corrected "can" to "can't" doh!!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Set up my AZ-EQ6 tripod, attached the head unit, decided the tripod was a bit too high, adjusted first tripod leg height by tipping it up in situ without realizing I'd neglected to under-clamp the head to the tripod. Az-EQ6 toppled off into the grass. Luckily it was on grass...

Magnus

Edited by Captain Magenta
  • Sad 1

Whilst waiting for my target for the night to get high  enough to image and for the street lights to be turned off, I decided to take some some longish still images of Uranus to pick up moons. Not really paying attention to what I was doing but pressed the button and moved on. The following day spent some software time trying to up the gain to find said moons finally realised I had not been pointing at Uranus but a nearby bright star somewhat out of focus and over exposed. Good for my age!

Nope. Everything in this new venture has gone 100% according to plan.

Anybody got an aspirin? I'm all out.

Edited by Seanelly

Not one of My senior moments but one of my Mothers:

Driving home from the cinema, my mother spotted a round yellow thing in the sky. She asked me if it was the Sun or Moon. 

It was 11:30pm. You do the calculations. 

The Moon was just rising and was dirty yellow. 

• Haha 2

Simply walking "miles" to and from my observatory for stuff I've forgotten.
I don't leave much outside -- Except for the mount! I imagined my Obsy 
as a "home office" rather than some...  "Alpine Survival Hut"? lol 😸

20 minutes ago, Macavity said:

Simply walking "miles" to and from my observatory for stuff I've forgotten.
I don't leave much outside -- Except for the mount! I imagined my Obsy 
as a "home office" rather than some...  "Alpine Survival Hut"? lol 😸

For me it is going anywhere and forgetting what I came for.

Regards Andrew 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nothing worse than, after travelling half way round the world, forgetting to remove the solar filter when imaging a solar eclipse during totality😩

• Sad 5

Mine from today was to do with one of our robotic guests' scopes which has picked up a contaminant somewhere creating a new dust bunny. I was so thorough, took everything apart, cleaned it, put it back together, re-set the camera angle, set up the flats panel on the scope, set it to the right brightness then emailed him to say he could try a test flat.

He emails me back saying, 'Maybe you should plug the power back into the camera as well...'

That will probably be the last for today but tomorrow will be full of opportunities for folly.

Olly

• Haha 4

Hardly a senior  moment but when I had been  building electronics while doing my PhD it never seemed to work first time. My colleague, next desk along, took joy in pointing out on several occasions that I had not put the fuse back in the mains plug 😳

Regards Andrew 

• Haha 3

My best is either not plugging in or not switching on!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I needed to make a short trip to the village earlier, normally I walk but as it was raining hard decided to get the car out. Got everything I needed, cards to post, shopping list, shopping bag, even remembered to put a cap on to keep the rain off my specs. All set to go, jumped in the car, doh!!! where were the keys? Still in the house that was by now locked!!!! 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I have a repetitive SM, and I just wish my memory was better, so that it doesn't' keep repeating.
I have my  EQ6 R loaded up with my 150mm. F5, and my Apo 66 guidescope on dual ADM" mounts.
Counter weights too of course.   Unfortunately in order to keep them from interfering with opening my ROR, the.
weights end  is close to the Observatory door, the result being, every time I go in there, I smack my forehead on  the end weight. 
It bloody hurts too, and one would think such a painful experience would suffice to make me more careful. No such thing,
I'm heading for a permanent head defomity  for sure. Even the wife warns me when I go out there,  
"BE CAREFUL!,"    But 2 minutes later OUCH, and another foul mouthed tirade alerts the neighbourhood that. Dopey is at it again .

Edited by barkis
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2

Leaving the bahtinov mask on whilst taking 30 minute ha exposures. On the plus side, my focus was bang on. 

Paused my imaging session whilst I checked my subs. Returned an hour later to find it was still paused. 

When I first tried guiding I plugged the st4 cable into the ethernet port on my laptop and couldn't figure out why PHD wasn't working. I done this 2 nights in a row trying to get it to work before it suddenly hit me that it needs to be in the mount. 

• Haha 1

Been there, done that got the Um...  now what was it???  😁

• Like 1

7 hours ago, barkis said:

I have a repetitive SM, and I just wish my memory was better, so that it doesn't' keep repeating.
I have my  EQ6 R loaded up with my 150mm. F5, and my Apo 66 guidescope on dual ADM" mounts.
Counter weights too of course.   Unfortunately in order to keep them from interfering with opening my ROR, the.
weights end  is close to the Observatory door, the result being, every time I go in there, I smack my forehead on  the end weight. 
It bloody hurts too, and one would think such a painful experience would suffice to make me more careful. No such thing,
I'm heading for a permanent head defomity  for sure. Even the wife warns me when I go out there,  
"BE CAREFUL!,"    But 2 minutes later OUCH, and another foul mouthed tirade alerts the neighbourhood that. Dopey is at it again .

Oh yes. Yes yes yes. Our robotic sheds are all at imaging height, not observing height, so you have to bend to grovelling posture to get into them. On a regular basis the owners ring my mobile and ask me to nip up to the sheds to do something intellectually stimulating like unplug and replug a USB lead. On my way up to the sheds I offer to sing Greensleeves or give them a running commentary of my progress, as in 'Just passing Monique's studio, passing the pizza oven, just gone past the dual Tak observatory...etc.' They always choose the commentary over my 'Greensleeves.' No idea why. But then we get to the moment where I have to duck under the low door to get into the robotic shed. I know what they are doing. Oh yes. They think I don't but I do. They are waiting for the opportunity to shriek with laughter when I yell REMOVED WORD down the mobile as I whack my head on the roof. This is, of course, the highlight of their day. (Why do I like them??? I must be mad.)  However, they do need to limit their mockery because they know I can get to my workshop and back with my hammer drill, angle grinder and chainsaw before they can get from Brussels/Dublin/Amsterdam etc etc to protect their Takahashis...

:icon_mrgreen:lly

Edited by ollypenrice
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8

I once set up the Mesu and left the counter weight shaft off. Boy, the scope got a move on when I slewed from the park position, just managed to catch it before it clouted the pier.

Good job it was the Altair 102 on the mount and not the Esprit 150...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I decided to set up the scope in a different part of the garden which was next to a tall hedge and very dark. My control room is a 3 X 5 shed (mounted on wheels) which was about 8 mtrs away. went through my usual set-up and calibration routine and settled down with heater on, some classical music playing etc.

Could I get the scope to sync on a star? no way. after a frustrating hour and half with temper fraying decided to pack away. As I was locking the door I noticed the counterweights still  sitting on the floor.

The story ends with me making a metal detector circuit so that two very bright red LED's mounted above the door flash with increasing insistence if the counterweights have not been lifted off the floor.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I once went ass over head off of a roadside curb because I was too busy looking up at the night sky. 

Wheeled straight into a lampost for the same reason. 

Should be a driving test for wheelchair users. 

Edited by LukeSkywatcher
  • Haha 2

What about putting a laminated sign on the door (Duck! or Mind your head!) so that you are re-reminded seconds before impact!

Carole 

41 minutes ago, carastro said:

What about putting a laminated sign on the door (Duck! or Mind your head!) so that you are re-reminded seconds before impact!

Carole 

The brain won't take it in any more than it takes in the doorway! I had a guest bump his head mildly against the outside of an observatory roof. I asked him which bit he bumped into and he said, 'The red light.' Rest my case!!!!

Olly

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Lol Olly, but I was actually directing that comment to an earlier poster - Barkis.

Carole 

Edited by carastro

47 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

The brain won't take it in any more than it takes in the doorway! I had a guest bump his head mildly against the outside of an observatory roof. I asked him which bit he bumped into and he said, 'The red light.' Rest my case!!!!

Olly

Clearly all the safety gear is being used elsewhere in France. You need a hard hat and hi vis jacket.

When I worked at a petrochemical plant you never went outside without a hard hat on your head.

Regards Andrew 

Edited by andrew s
  • Like 1

Why not put a padded or swinging height barrier where it won't get in the way but will remind you.

I once cut the corner between kitchen and hall and KO'd myself on the underside of the stairs.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, andrew s said:

Clearly all the safety gear is being used elsewhere in France. You need a hard hat and hi vis jacket.

When I worked at a petrochemical plant you never went outside without a hard hat on your head.

Regards Andrew 

This is the ultimate safety vest, methinks. I'm seriously thinking of buying one for my motorcyle outings despite their docile nature:

Olly

• Like 1