Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

46P - an LRGB image...

I found this very difficult to process, but I think I finally have a version that shows the subtle hints of a tail and a trace of core detail, without exaggerating the gentle glow of the coma.  Unfortunately, some traces of star trails remain, though I have managed to keep a hint of star colours. 

From the evening of December 12th, this effort came from 30 x 60 second luminance frames and 20 x 60 second each for RGB, guiding on the comet nucleus (equipment as per signature).  A 20 second delay between each exposure was used to try and ensure no overlap in star images for the individual comet frames, with the idea that the sigma stack would then completely eliminate star trails (which wasn't entirely successful - maybe the delay wasn't long enough).  I then let the comet drift for a couple of hours and moved the scope back to retake RGB  frames (another 20 x 60s RGB) for star colour.   Sigma stacking the comet images in AstroArt gave a star-trail-free(ish) colour image that I could layer the star RGB stack over ((using a single comet frame as reference).

1627867038_colour21_15.thumb.jpg.251f63a441dab1250aebc2d82b23c7fc.jpg 

It was a complete faff, to be honest.  For fast moving comets, OSC or DSLR cameras are definitely the weapons of choice when it comes to colour imaging, I reckon.  I've had a real battle with colour balance, gradients and noise in processing this, but I've got something I'm finally happy with.  Earlier in the evening I got a reasonable result from 30s subs tracking on a nearby star, but I was hoping the longer subs guided on the comet itself might show more detail.  I think I just tempted some high clouds in to cast a fuzz over everything instead.

No more 46P from me, I promise...

2 hours ago, happy-kat said:

You've captured a definite trail there. It's proving quite a challenge this comet I'm hoping when it is higher things will be easier.

Looking back I don’t know why I didn’t go for some longer subs as it was guiding a treat on the core in PHD.  The weather looks like it won’t be letting me have another go any time soon...

Archived