Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Losmandy GM8 and ASCOM/EQMOD - is it possible?

Adreneline

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have experience of using Losmandy GM8 mount with ASCOM/EQMOD?

I am asking on behalf of a friend who owns said mount but is having no joy using the hand controller for GoTo, and seems to be 'uncomfortable' with the whole PC thing! - "I don't do the web - can't see any point".

I have suggested he might try using a PC based system instead (I use ASCOM/EQMOD and CdC with my own NEQ6) but I have no idea really as to whether this is possible with the GM8.

I fear I may be trying to move an immovable object but any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Adrian

10 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

... it wouldn't work with a Losmandy GM8

Thank you Peter.

Just to help with my understanding - and explanation to my non-techie friend - I'd had a look at the this and wondered what the fifth bullet point means ( Ethernet 10/100 with full IP function permits operation from anywhere using a browser, ASCOM, or APP over the web or serial port ).

Apologies if I'm being a bit dim.

Adrian

On 16/12/2018 at 12:59, Adreneline said:

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have experience of using Losmandy GM8 mount with ASCOM/EQMOD?

I am asking on behalf of a friend who owns said mount but is having no joy using the hand controller for GoTo, and seems to be 'uncomfortable' with the whole PC thing! - "I don't do the web - can't see any point".

I have suggested he might try using a PC based system instead (I use ASCOM/EQMOD and CdC with my own NEQ6) but I have no idea really as to whether this is possible with the GM8.

I fear I may be trying to move an immovable object but any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Adrian

If it has a Gemini controller, then it can be interfaced via ASCOM.

https://www.gemini-2.com/configuringEthernetASCOMdriver.php

3 hours ago, Adreneline said:

Thank you Paul.

I'll have a read and pass it on to my friend to see if we can make some headway.

Adrian

I've been playing with this setup tonight- I just bought a second-hand MI-250 mount with a Gemini II controller.

The mount is in my living room with me and a laptop, and I'm controlling it, over ethernet, with my Obsy PC that's 50 metres away via Windows remote desktop. 

Works a treat!

10 minutes ago, Pompey Monkey said:

I've been playing with this setup tonight

Thanks for the update. I won't be seeing my friends now until the New Year but I'll keep you posted.

May I ask what software you are using to control the mount. Are you using CdC by any chance?

Thanks again.

Adrian

1 minute ago, Adreneline said:

Thanks for the update. I won't be seeing my friends now until the New Year but I'll keep you posted.

May I ask what software you are using to control the mount. Are you using CdC by any chance?

Thanks again.

Adrian

I tried SGP and the standalone interface. Both connected to the ASCOM api with no problems, so I expect that any ASCOM compatible software will work. (BTW, I just tried connecting to PHD while responding, just to be sure. Once again, it works fine :) _

6 hours ago, Pompey Monkey said:

I tried SGP and the standalone interface. Both connected to the ASCOM api with no problems, so I expect that any ASCOM compatible software will work. (BTW, I just tried connecting to PHD while responding, just to be sure. Once again, it works fine :) _

That's very kind of you to check it out - I shall certainly pass on the success you've had to my friend.

His biggest problem - it would seem amongst many - is that he can't get the GoTo to work properly. I have a suspicion that he may not be getting the PA anywhere near right but he claims it is the GoTo hand-controller that is faulty. I've offered to go look see but so far the offer has not been accepted. I can't help but feel there is an element of user error.

Hey! Maybe there'll be a Losmandy mount going cheap soon ;)

Thank you again for taking the time to get back to me.

Merry Christmas! 

Adrian

Assuming this is a GM8 with Gemini 2. Make sure he's got the time/date correct, and the location of the mount is correct. Perform a Cold Start with the scope at CWD (counterweight down, pointing at the pole) - it takes you through all this.

Next step is to do the initial sync on a bright star. After that, to get best performance, he'll need to build a pointing model - this involves pointing at 3-4 bright stars on each side of the mount. There is a routine built into the mount for doing all this - the late Tom Hilton produced a website that acts as a good guide for all this. See: https://gemini-2.com/hc/En-SAE-01.php

Happy to help - I own both a Gemini 1 and 2, and 2 Losmandy mounts so well used to them :)

4 hours ago, Adreneline said:

His biggest problem - it would seem amongst many - is that he can't get the GoTo to work properly. I have a suspicion that he may not be getting the PA anywhere near right but he claims it is the GoTo hand-controller that is faulty.

I should have said on this as well, as long as the PA isn't absolutely miles out, the modelling procedure I posted about above will take account of polar alignment error as part of the model building. Within a few degrees should be fine - though with larger errors, it helps to have more reference stars used in the model to help the mount correctly wok out what errors it needs to account for. Even without using a polar scope, I can usually get my GM8 somewhere nearby by eyeing along the polar axis. A polar scope will get you to easily within half a degree without trying very much. 

Archived