Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

BargeGazer

DISTRO-ASTRO

Does anyone know if this distribution still exists. I have tried the DistroAstro website which is all there but none of the download buttons seem to work.

Is it still supported and updated?

If not, what should I be looking for on a dedicated Linux Machine? I currently use the latest Mint.

Thanks,

David (Aude, France and Southampton, UK)

I have only used  Distro-Astro 1.0.2 (though I did manage to download the .ISO of 3.0.2 last year and yet to install it), and I thought it was good to excellent. I think recent political instability in the Phillipines ?? has ceased it to progress any further. Release 4.x.x was almost due with extras too.

There is also Ubuntu Astronomy 16.0x by SGL'er @oleg_astro - (also downloaded the .ISO and yet to install it).

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone. I am having a look at Ubuntu Astronomy. Or rather I am downloading it and will be for a while = it is rather large!

6 hours ago, BargeGazer said:

Thanks everyone. I am having a look at Ubuntu Astronomy. Or rather I am downloading it and will be for a while = it is rather large!

Distro-Astro was rather large too....  that said, all three volumes of Tri-Atlas will fill a CD-ROM. 

Edited by Philip R
  • Haha 1

Oleg I've a spare laptop currently running ubuntu astronomy so willing to sacrifice just downloading the 3.47gb image and will let you know how I go on

Andy

• Thanks 1

Oleg as  like the old image is the username password still the same as the older image or can it be be set by the user?

24 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

Oleg as  like the old image is the username password still the same as the older image or can it be be set by the user?

Yes.

==================
Login: astronom
Password: 12341234
==================

You can change the default password in menu:
Applications -> System Tools -> System Setting -> User Accounts

Edited by oleg_astro
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, oleg_astro said:

Yes.

==================
Login: astronom
Password: 12341234
==================

You can change the default password in menu:
Applications -> System Tools -> System Setting -> User Accounts

thank you will give it a go tomorrow downloaded image ok

10 minutes ago, oleg_astro said:

You can install Astronomy Linux 18.04 with your name and password.

on another note cold here in Normandie France yet my mother and father in law are in Portugal for 2 months where it is a lot warmer (lucky people) 3 degree here plus snow yesterday cold......

well installed ok would prefere the old desktop layout so far good will test the apps a bit like an android phone to launch the apps i'm not sure about that

48 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

well installed ok would prefere the old desktop layout so far good will test the apps a bit like an android phone to launch the apps i'm not sure about that

I imagine it's possible to change that if you install MATE, though it might be a bit of an adventure.  The move to a more "mobile device" style of user interface seems to have become common over the last few years.  Presumably some people like it.  Personally I find it a massive hindrance, and it was a significant factor in my moving from Ubuntu to Mint some time back.

James

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I imagine it's possible to change that if you install MATE, though it might be a bit of an adventure.  The move to a more "mobile device" style of user interface seems to have become common over the last few years.  Presumably some people like it.  Personally I find it a massive hindrance, and it was a significant factor in my moving from Ubuntu to Mint some time back.

James

tired so will give it a go tomorrow install mate, I hate the layout prefer the old style cheers

ANDY

Probably worth a read of a few web pages on "how to install and configure MATE on Ubuntu" or something like that then.  I don't think it should really be that complicated, but never having tried it myself (it wasn't an option when I gave up using Ubuntu) there may be things I don't know :)

James

• Like 1

Tried Astro Linux 18.04 on my little Asus 10" notebook and runs fine except it flatly refuses to detect both the on board wireless and also the WiFi dongle I tried so can only connect via cable which is a pain so maybe not for me just yet!

Steve 

Edited by Gasman

16 hours ago, JamesF said:

Probably worth a read of a few web pages on "how to install and configure MATE on Ubuntu" or something like that then.  I don't think it should really be that complicated, but never having tried it myself (it wasn't an option when I gave up using Ubuntu) there may be things I don't know :)

James

James,

Installed Mate environment much better now

Andy

10 hours ago, Gasman said:

Tried Astro Linux 18.04 on my little Asus 10" notebook and runs fine except it flatly refuses to detect both the on board wireless and also the WiFi dongle I tried so can only connect via cable which is a pain so maybe not for me just yet! 

Steve 

Hmm... Try it:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/841658/problems-with-wifi-on-gnome-16-10-asus-laptop

I tried Astro Linux 18.04 but it regularly "freezes". Since I need my computer for everyday stuff I installed regular Ubuntu 18.04.2 again. My question : isn't it possible to import the "astro Linux"-repo's on a "regular" *buntu ?

Anyhow, I'm gonna install your distro on my second test-platform and see how things work out. Besides that : great job !

• Like 1

On 10/03/2019 at 20:15, Ferre said:

I tried Astro Linux 18.04 but it regularly "freezes". Since I need my computer for everyday stuff I installed regular Ubuntu 18.04.2 again. My question : isn't it possible to import the "astro Linux"-repo's on a "regular" *buntu ?

Anyhow, I'm gonna install your distro on my second test-platform and see how things work out. Besides that : great job !

Astronomy Linux Packages

• Like 1

Ok.

Thanks!

P.S. Why does "Astronomy Linux" has too much installed astronomical software?

This project is devoted to Linux beginners and promotion of Linux among astronomy amateurs.