Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Jojo204

Program for camera control?

Hi all,

my new telescope comes tomorrow and it seems I have a clear night the very same day! I am therefore setting up digital stuff already and want to know what software would be the best to change settings (exposure, aperture, iso) and capture shots like an intervalometer, remotely. This would be on a Windows Laptop, 

thanks!  

Astrophotography tool. Sequence generator Pro. Backyard EOS. backyard nikon to name a few

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

What camera do you have ?

EOS 1200d

I'd say that APT or Backyard EOS are good places to start with Canon cameras.  Choose which one you find easiest to get on with.

James

• Like 1

Canon EOS Utility comes on the CD's, gives you full control of the camera and intervalometer.

It's also the easiest to get on with.

Michael

• Like 1

I started with Backyard EOS myself, but have been using APT lately and like it better. I've been looking at SGPro and thinking of giving it a shot too. Any of those should work just fine for you.

• Like 1

I used Backyard EOS for the first time last night and it’s very easy and intuitive to use. The ui is laid out great. I also have Astrophotography Tool but haven’t tried it yet. 

Both have trial versions to give a go. 

• Like 1

On 16/12/2018 at 11:32, adyj1 said:

Another +1 for APT, but haven't tried BYEOS. 

Yes, the same. Not used BYEOS but really liking APT, particularly like the ability to set up shooting plans for multiple exposures and also that you can include dithering when using it with PHD2 ?.

Edited by Spaced Out

1 hour ago, Spaced Out said:

Yes, the same. Not used BYEOS but really liking APT, particularly like the ability to set up shooting plans for multiple exposures and also that you can include dithering when using it with PHD2 ?.

I like the APT feature that allows me to dither even though I'm not guiding (yet!) Saves having to do dark frames...

1200D user too, started with BYEOS but found APT to be a more intuitive interface for me, reasonably priced too.
Love the plate solving / plan building / focus aids etc.

I use APT and get on really well with it, it has just had an update, due to weather not had a chance to try them out yet.

Nebulosity 4 works well with Canon cameras and it is reasonably accomplished at processing the images too. I found it an excellent starting point.