Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

PGM

Takahashi FC-100DC debut (and diagonal problem)

A Powermate, TeleXtender or Focal Extender (Tele Vue, Meade and ES products) move the focus point either not at all or very little.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nakedgun said:

The short-throw focuser on the DC can make finding the right combination a trying experience. Diagonals from different manufacturers will not all have the same focal length, nor will all barlows. I found this shorty barlow to be helpful. To use a "regular" length barlow I have to change extension combos.  An observing associate with a variety of ep/barlow/diagonal choices can save some time and aggravation.

Absolutely! My barlow is also a shorty (Celestron X-Cel ED Barlow 2x) but I had no luck with it. Unfortunately where I live I know nobody pursuing visual astronomy who could help, and I can't keep buying more and more equipment just to try it once and resell it.

2 minutes ago, John said:

A Powermate, TeleXtender or Focal Extender (Tele Vue, Meade and ES products) move the focus point either not at all or very little.

That's interesting, I didn't know that. I might buy a 2.5x Powermate to try it then.