Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

JBracegirdle

All Sky Plate Solver - Camera array data unsupported.

Good afternoon,

I'm still new to astronomy in general, my setup is explained in my previous post. I am trying to get plate solving working.

I can get results from Astrometry.net, and I can get All Sky Plate Solver to solve when given an image file, but I am trying to get it to work with my ZWO ASI224MC direct.

When I try "Click, Solve & Sync" I get an error "Camera array data unsupported."

I have my camera connected with ASCOM as ASI Camera (1). The Image Type options are Raw8, Raw16 and Y8. Raw16 is selected and seems to be the default. I have tried the others and they all produce the same error. I've tried it with and without MonoBin. Binning is set to 1 and Subframe to 100% (50% tried). Filter is blank.

I can connect to the camera in SharpCap via ASCOM (although it warns that it prefers native drivers). I've also tried the SharpCap native Plate solver with the astrometrics install from ASPS, it tries to solve takes a while, but can't find a solution. I also tried AstroTortilla, that reads from the camera but just returns "No solution in 0.0s". :(

I've tried a Google search for the ASPS error but it doesn't find anything. I have checked only one application has the ASCOM camera at once. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I've not really done any plate solving yet, but I think you need to enter camera and scope details so that the software can work out the fov. I think you have to download files which represents your setup fov for the software to compare.

I sure someone who knows better will come along soon!

Edited by Stargazer33

you need to open settings in asps ,you need focal length of scope , camera microns , chip size etc  these give you the fov required to work out indexes required to download 

aspsCapture.JPG

asps2Capture.JPG

Edited by bottletopburly

Thanks for your replies. I have the indexes and I have the focal length (with the focal reducer) from astrometry.net, solving doesn't seem to be the problem. It solves when given an image file, it just produces an error when it tries to capture an image from the camera via ASCOM.

What's extra weird is I can't find the the error it produces talked about on the Internet at all. I downloaded the program again, un-installed and re-installed it just in case the files had become corrupt, but it still produces the "Camera array data unsupported" error.

so you entered sensor size and micron size and pressed button  retrieve from fits header choose a fits file image you have taken , that fills array and highlights indexes used in yellow ?

Edited by bottletopburly

Yes that bit seems to work really well. I used the Index Installation Wizard and the Settings Assistant. Images from file solve fine. I like that you can press "Browse Solved Image" and see the image annotated and the celestial coordinates. It's just the camera connection that seems to be the problem.

SharpCap can see the camera and take images in native and ASCOM mode fine.

May have misunderstood the issue, but you can't use ASPS to capture images.  It needs an image (jpeg or fits) captured by your imaging software.  This can either be used from within software (APT, for example) or loaded into ASPS running by itself.

• Thanks 1

Well if you can't use the camera to solve and it needs a file ASPS is working as expected. :) But what does the "Click, Solve & Sync" button do if not capture from camera? 

I have now got AstroTortilla working. It seems as though the Cygwin install file is out of date. I used the latest Cygwin setup-x86.exe and that installed but seemed to break Astrometry. I fixed Astrometry by copying it from the ASPS cope of Astrometry to the C:/Cygwin folder and AstroTortilla works now.

SharpCap, ASPS and AstroTortilla are all using the same astrometry files now.

SharpCap is working 100% (after setting sigma to 6) - 15 seconds.

AstroTortilla works 100% - 19 seconds.

ASPS works with a file but won't capture from camera - 25 seconds.

Thanks for your perseverance, I think I've gone as far as I can with the simulators and I've gone from just ASPS working with a file to:

ShapCap working with the camera.

AstroTortilla working with a file or the camera.

ASPS still working with a file.

All 3 solvers now use the same base Astrometry files, so saving hard disk space. I'm happy with that, there is nothing I can't do with that setup. I'll try a near solve with ASPS when the clouds / storm Deirdre pass by. Thanks again for all your help.

ASPS will blind solve but may take a while ? - there is no way to put in RA/DEC as far as I know  (only if the mount if connected or you do command line calls to ASPS) - the results are for results ?.  See 

ASPS uses Fits or JPG so make sure the output from the Ascom camera can produce Fits or JPG images.

if you take a couple of images (JPG or Fits or both)  that your camera (ASI224) has taken via the EXACT SAME Ascom camera as you tried to use in ASPS and see if they solve - you may have done this but i didn't see that you used the same Ascom settings. If they solve ok then its the Ascom interface not being used correctly by ASPS  - support does seem to be none existent now days ?

If they don't solve double check your settings including J200/JNow etc 

you can even try command line call to ASPS ?  see manual below

Maybe the manuals might help http://www.astrogb.com/downloads/ASPS_CmdLine.pdf    http://www.astrogb.com/downloads/ASPS_COM.pdf ?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stash_old said:

ASPS uses Fits or JPG so make sure the output from the Ascom camera can produce Fits or JPG images.

Thanks that seems to explain what's happening. I think the ZWO ASCOM driver just produces a RAW output, so that's probably the reason it doesn't work. Considering all the plate solvers that do work and I'm not missing any features I'm happy. I do like ASPS's result viewer, thankfully it works with JPGs and FITS.

• Thanks 1