Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice needed bresser exos2 GT mount

Mattyboy1658

Hi Guys

I've had the a chance of buying a bresser exos2 GT mount with an ar102/1000 refractor telescope. 

I won't be using the scope this will be getting sold on if I buy it.

But what I'd like to know what is everyone's general views on this mount , is it any good, is the tracking okay? If anyone has had any real experience with this mount what's your views on it?

Any advice would be appreciated as usual 

4 minutes ago, emadmoussa said:

At the risk of sounding patronising, but also from own experience, are you starting off with imaging, or you had a fair share of observing?

Some of us rush into imaging and get frustrated with astronomy as a whole at an early stage. 

I had an etx70 on an alt az mount for a few years which I done some occasional viewing with but now looking to start imaging as photography is another expensive hobby I have , I have a decent scope, just looking for a decent mount to put it on suitable for imaging.

2 minutes ago, emadmoussa said:

My first proper imaging mount ('proper' is not the best, by the way, just the best for my budget) was the EQ6. Before that, I had the EQ3 equatorial mount with motors fitted and it tracked just fine. 

Well that's exactly what I'm trying to achieve at the moment mate, I purchased an old Meade lxd55 used, and it was seized when I bought it, cleaned and polished the internals gave it an overhaul , to discover the motors were cuffed so I moved that on and I'm now looking for something not too expensive but not absolutely rubbish .

I seen the bresser which seems to be the same as the explore scientific exos 2 , both have mixed reviews online but just wanted to know if anyone had any real hands on use .

I believe Bressser (or Explore Scientific) is generally - and unfairly - underrated, but in reality, they're excellent telescope makers. I used an ES giro mount, Bresser refractor, and a number of ES eyepieces, and they were all a great value for money. I'd rate them v. good to excellent. Drawing a direct analogy, I think the Bresser mounts, even though I haven't used before, will be good. Perhaps if you look for the same mount under Explore Scientific branding, you'll find hands-on reviews? 

It looks like Meade LXD75 based mount, a lot of information on the mount:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/563436-exos-2gt-information-thread/

It looks to be Eq5 class mount, so yes, AP doable, but don't expect wonders. Short unguided subs, but for real deal - go with guiding. I would limit weight to 6" newtonian or 4" imaging apo on it.

10 hours ago, vlaiv said:

It looks like Meade LXD75 based mount, a lot of information on the mount:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/563436-exos-2gt-information-thread/

It looks to be Eq5 class mount, so yes, AP doable, but don't expect wonders. Short unguided subs, but for real deal - go with guiding. I would limit weight to 6" newtonian or 4" imaging apo on it.

Thanks for your replies Ive got a wo megrez 90 scope and an opticstar 8x50 alignment scope attached to it along with my camera ect probably weigh around 4 kilos approximately.

I've got the chance of either the exos 2 goto mount or a celestron cg4 eq3-2 hybrid mount which someone has modified and attached synscan eq3 goto to it for the same price so I'm a bit unsure as to which one to go for.

4 hours ago, Mattyboy1658 said:

Thanks for your replies Ive got a wo megrez 90 scope and an opticstar 8x50 alignment scope attached to it along with my camera ect probably weigh around 4 kilos approximately.

I've got the chance of either the exos 2 goto mount or a celestron cg4 eq3-2 hybrid mount which someone has modified and attached synscan eq3 goto to it for the same price so I'm a bit unsure as to which one to go for.

Not sure if I can give meaningful advice on that one, because I have not used either of two mounts.

In lack of any solid knowledge about them, I would say - go with one that has larger carrying capacity. EQ3 can be used for imaging, but your focus will be on getting mount to perform rather than on imaging itself. It can be a challenge to someone who will find joy in tinkering with imaging setup and getting a reward for making "underdog" perform to a certain level, but most people want to get good image rather than achieve above standard results from less than adequate gear.

Above can be both said for EQ5 and EQ3 class mount, and given choice I would certainly opt for EQ5. I would not mind having a go at imaging with EQ3 but not for producing great results, rather exploring ways to get the maximum out of such mount - like I said above - some people like to do such things, and sometimes I'm one of those people :D

Bottom line, I think you are better of with Exos 2 - but do some more research, and hopefully someone else can offer an advice here to help you make up your mind.

5 hours ago, vlaiv said:

Not sure if I can give meaningful advice on that one, because I have not used either of two mounts.

In lack of any solid knowledge about them, I would say - go with one that has larger carrying capacity. EQ3 can be used for imaging, but your focus will be on getting mount to perform rather than on imaging itself. It can be a challenge to someone who will find joy in tinkering with imaging setup and getting a reward for making "underdog" perform to a certain level, but most people want to get good image rather than achieve above standard results from less than adequate gear.

Above can be both said for EQ5 and EQ3 class mount, and given choice I would certainly opt for EQ5. I would not mind having a go at imaging with EQ3 but not for producing great results, rather exploring ways to get the maximum out of such mount - like I said above - some people like to do such things, and sometimes I'm one of those people :D

Bottom line, I think you are better of with Exos 2 - but do some more research, and hopefully someone else can offer an advice here to help you make up your mind.

Thanks for your advice mate, I ended up going for the eq3 , turns out after a bit of digging the exos 2 had a few problems , seller advised me the goto wasn't spot on and he had a slewing problem hence so cheap, I viewed images taken with the cg4 and to be honest they were very nice indeed. And the the synscan was updated to the latest software ect.

I don't mind putting in the effort to get the best I can out of the mount I love a challenge and nothing comes easy at the end of the day, it's all about trial and error.

And it was a good price for my first proper mount.

Archived