Narrowband

Ring Nebula st80

mark81

I have seen the Ring Nebula a few times with the st80 under dark skies - this time it wasn't as prominent but still just big enough to reveal that it is a 'ring' shape.  I haven't yet upgraded to a decent higher power EP but a 12mm plossl does show it as an out of focus star and averted vision shows the shape. The surrounding stars were a little dimmer than in my sketch, but I think a decent EP would help greatly... (I have been looking at the OVL 7mm 82 degree)

Thanks for looking

15448163756971633852633.jpg

Nice sketch Mark, yes I agree a little mag might do it a bit of improvement...I like a 7mm at 57x in the ST80 myself for M57, haven't had the ST80 for but a few months and been mucking about trying eye pieces with it. Best of luck...

Good observation and sketch particularly with the small scope (small in relative terms - not intended to be critical of the scope). Thanks for sharing it. ?

I use it’s big brother, the ST102 with an ES82 6.7mm and 4.7mm for high power. The latter really only for solar white light, with a filter to reduce CA and tighten up the view. Haven’t used the OVL 7mm 82* but from experience with the ES 6.7mm equivalent, I could picture it being a useful eyepiece. I think I’m more with SIDO on a "bit of an improvement" than "help greatly" though, just for setting expectations.

The Ring is on its way out for the season. Bring on the Eskimo though! Check it out if you haven’t already! ?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived