SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Celestron 8SE

Hi.

Could anyone who uses a Celestron 8SE give me a little advice please ?

Wanting to use a Star Diagonal,have been recommended a couple including the Revelation Quartz, William Optics and GSO.. all with the 1.25 adapter.

However I would also need an SCT adapter if I am correct to attach to the back of my 8SE... anyone have any recommendations for any of this kit, whether it be adapter or diagonal.... Very new with my 8SE so just making sure I get it right.

Thanks

Are you considering a 2 inch diagonal ?

You can get 2 inch diagonals which have an SCT screw fitting. These are probably a better bet with the 8SE (if you are considering a 2 inch diagonal) because they give more clearance at the read of the scope so won't contact the mount when the scope is pointing towards the zenith.

The alternative is to use a 2 inch push fit diagonal with a 2" push fit to SCT screw adapter but this approach can lead to clearance issues between the diagonal and the mount.

21 minutes ago, John said:

Are you considering a 2 inch diagonal ?

You can get 2 inch diagonals which have an SCT screw fitting. These are probably a better bet with the 8SE (if you are considering a 2 inch diagonal) because they give more clearance at the read of the scope so won't contact the mount when the scope is pointing towards the zenith.

The alternative is to use a 2 inch push fit diagonal with a 2" push fit to SCT screw adapter but this approach can lead to clearance issues between the diagonal and the mount.

Yes, will be looking for a 2 inch diagonal... Have read about the clearance, which does concern me, and didn't realise I could get one with the SCT  screw fitting, that would be perfect?

Any you could recommend ? 

Many thanks

28 minutes ago, John said:

The enhanced mirror ones (95%) may not be the best bet in the long run. But it really depends on rhw's needs. 

13 minutes ago, emadmoussa said:

The enhanced mirror ones (95%) may not be the best bet in the long run. But it really depends on rhw's needs. 

Here is the dielectric coated version with 99% transmission:

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/altair-astro-2-inch-sct-dielectric-diagonal-1543256/?mkwid=s2IN1OCuH_dc&pcrid=89741479259&kword=&match=&plid=&product=1543256&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2vLF55mg3wIVqr3tCh138wciEAQYAiABEgJ1x_D_BwE

GSO made I believe. I've owned the push fit version and they are very good for the price :smiley:

2 minutes ago, John said:

Oh damn!! Why didn't I see this before I ordered...that's £10 cheaper. Thanks, John. ;) 

Oh cool.. had heard of the GSO being a decent one, but couldn't find one... Someone mentioned on another site that the Revelation Quartz was the GSO made too, though don't think it was threaded for an SCT.

The one linked also looks like it has an include adapter enabling 1.25 inch EPs to be used as well ?

37 minutes ago, rhw1967 said:

Oh cool.. had heard of the GSO being a decent one, but couldn't find one... Someone mentioned on another site that the Revelation Quartz was the GSO made too, though don't think it was threaded for an SCT.

The one linked also looks like it has an include adapter enabling 1.25 inch EPs to be used as well ?

There is an SCT version of the Revelation Quartz (which is a GSO product as well) but they seem to be priced at over £130 now. Strange because I'd swear that it's the same diagonal that is branded as Altair Astro in my link above :icon_scratch:

The Revelation branded GSO diagonals used to be priced at well under £100 so I don't know why or when the price jumped.

16 minutes ago, rhw1967 said:

...Harrison's have the Revelation SCT in stock so I may grab that, along with a dew shield for my 8SE ?

It's listed at £139.00 though. Seems a lot to me when these were around £80 or less not so long ago :icon_scratch:

40 minutes ago, John said:

It's listed at £139.00 though. Seems a lot to me when these were around £80 or less not so long ago :icon_scratch:

Yep, agreed.. from looking around a few places have it at the 130-139 price point it seems

• 1 month later...
On 14/12/2018 at 13:07, LukeSkywatcher said:

GSO branded products are very good. I've had a 10 Yr love affair with my 32mm GSO EP. 

What are your favorite targets with this EP? The price is really affordable compared to some other 32mm EPs I have seen (e.g. Televue). 

Archived