Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What's your thoughts on the SW Evostar 72 ED

Hi, I am currently using a SW130 PDS with a ASI 1600 mm pro and am looking for a possible new scope to use. I have seen the SW Evostar 72 and from the limited research I have done seems to be a good scope but would like your thoughts on the scope and also the camera combination. I'm not looking to replace my other scope anytime soon but my run with both for s while. Thanks in advance. 

As a visual observer, it’s a terrific little scope in my opinion. With realistic expectations given the aperture, I’ve found it excellent for lunar, planetary, white light solar, DSOs, doubles, high power, wide field - everything really. Feels like a well built quality piece of kit too. I love using it. Full disclosure though, I’d prefer a bit more inward focus travel and as a travel scope, a sliding dew shield and smaller case would be nice to have.

Don't know that particular scope but here are some "research" points:

- It will probably need field flattener for ASI1600. If you are using filter wheel and OAG, or just filter wheel make sure that there is enough distance to accommodate everything. Check back focus as well. Get field flattener with focal reduction if you can, to get really wide field shots. If you use regular flattener without focal reduction - there are "faster" options out there (but more expensive, so if budget is concern just ignore this - SW 72ED has very nice price) - like TS 80mm apo F/6 with focal reduction - 384mm and 2"/pixel with ASI1600 F/4.8 combo.

- Make sure you will be able to balance the scope properly. A lot of weight will be hanging of the end of such a small scope - lens cell won't be able to balance it alone - you will need to move everything way forward and you need quite long dovetail bar to do it. It will also mean that focuser will be "up" rather than normal "down" position (you will hit HEQ5 dovetail clamp with it and scope so forward).

- How will you guide it? Maybe side by side setup would be good idea - that would let you get good balance. I don't see anything particularly wrong with using guide scope mounted on top or small one on finder shoe - but do research on how are you going to mount it all.

Otherwise I can see it working really well for wide field shots. It will have good resolution even reduced to something like x0.8 at 2.33"/pixel - you will be able to fit whole M31 in single field (just).

Archived