Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Scientists are Starting to Understand Solar Cycles

FLO

Solar scientists think they're finally getting a handle on predicting the Sun's cycles.

If everything goes as they predict, the next solar cycle will be 30-50% stronger, and be up to a year late.

Astronomers have been tracking the two major flows of plasma that goven the Sun's cycles. One acts like a conveyor belt, pulling plasma from the poles to the equator, and the other gets stretched since the Sun rotates faster at the equator than at the poles. This causes the Sun's magnetic field to concentrate, creating the solar maximum.

http://tinyurl.com/zttvt

30 - 50% more Flares, Sunspots and CME's :shock: WOW.

This is great news for Aurora! Personally I really hope that they are right. I'm really looking forward to the next maximum!

Ant

This is very interesting. Having closely tracked the activity of the Sun during cycle 23, we found several apparent anomolies that could be very well explained by these findings. I'll be running to the local university to check out the paper mentioned in the article. Well, maybe I'll drive instead....

Heres more:

Unprecedented forecast issued for next sunspot cycle

The next sunspot cycle will be 30-50% stronger than the last one and begin as much as a year late, according to a breakthrough forecast using a computer model of solar dynamics developed by scientists at the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR). Predicting the Sun's cycles accurately, years in advance, will help societies plan for active bouts of solar storms, which can slow satellite orbits, disrupt communications, and bring down power systems.

http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0603/06sunspots/

Archived