SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Barnard Dark Nebula B8 - B9 - B11 - B12 - B13 Dark Nebulae in Camelopardalis

Allinthehead

Hi everyone. When i began imaging this target after finding it in Dso Browser (which is fantastic by the way) i didn't even know it's designation but i managed to find another image of this area with the designations attached.

There's very little info online about it so i hope it's what i said it is. I did find the bright blue star at the bottom of the image is 1Cam and as i realised after thinking my focus was off it's actually a double star. Class B (B0) giant coupled to a seventh magnitude 6.82 class B0 subgiant dwarf separated by 10.4 seconds of arc. Estimated at 5,700 ly from earth.

Takahashi Epsilon 130d with the Asi 071pro

14 hrs in 150 second subs at gain 50

Captured with Sgpro, stacked in App, processed in App, PI and PS.

Clear Skies for Christmas?

Richard.

1523099639_Unknowncolourcopy3.thumb.jpg.29b63c7802c29c2b0f566b8f98fb7846.jpg

16 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Amazing Richard. You have a real gift for processing. 

? Thanks Adam.

15 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Beautiful shot! i have a question, are dark nebulae dark because they're thermally dead? or what's the reason they're so dark?

Thanks Sunshine. I suppose they're dark because there are no large bright stars illuminating the dust.

15 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Interesting target Richard, love those stars colours unlike some of the garish bright blues and oranges so often seen.

Dave

Thanks Dave glad you like it.

14 hours ago, Xiga said:

I really like that. The way the dark nebula just hangs there amidst all those bright, colourful stars is truly splendid. 

I'm sure it must have been a real handful to process! 

Thanks Ciaran. Yes it was a challenge for sure. The issue is trying to separate dark nebula from dark background. It took a few goes to get it where i wanted it.

Archived