Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pointing the Wrong Way !!

Hi folks. Just making note here of one of the first things I noticed, since getting back into astronomy and using an EQ mount....

15 years ago I just used an Alt Az mount and tracked objects with the movement wheels for observation. It was an ideal way for basic observing and no photography.

However now I have a scope with a Celestron AVX mount the first thing I noticed when setting up is that all the best items in the night sky I want to look at are behind me!!

??

Seriously though it was odd to get used to.  I'm going to find my feet then start have a go at photography. Starting off with the moon which I assume could be a decent starting point.

Enjoying my time on the forum so far thanks all.

Hi David, the trouble with an EQ mount is that when you want to face south you need to do what we call here a 'meridian flip' ie. you have to turn the scope right over to face the opposite direction, which means the finder and the eyepiece are then underneath the scope and not facing upwards, you then have to twist the barrel (OTA) of the scope so that these items are moved into the right place.  This is one of the reasons why I gave up on EQ mounts and now use AZ only, too much of a faff for me, but if you are doing AP then an EQ is the best. 

8 hours ago, rwilkey said:

Hi David, the trouble with an EQ mount is that when you want to face south you need to do what we call here a 'meridian flip' ie. you have to turn the scope right over to face the opposite direction, which means the finder and the eyepiece are then underneath the scope and not facing upwards, you then have to twist the barrel (OTA) of the scope so that these items are moved into the right place.  This is one of the reasons why I gave up on EQ mounts and now use AZ only, too much of a faff for me, but if you are doing AP then an EQ is the best. 

You could well have something there! Last time I was into astronomy I had a decent Orion reflector on a Alt Az mount and I did tracking using the adjustment knobs. I suppose it makes quick set up and an hours casual observing easier.

Oh dear. I may have added something to my shopping list. Haha

David

Archived