Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stellarium - adding comets

Thalestris24

Bit of haphazard jumping about but I think it goes like this

Configuration spanner / plug ins / solar system editor (may have to scroll down to it on left hand side) / configure / solar system / import orbital elements / click on comet button / select bookmark /

MPC list of observable comets / get orbital elements / this gets you a list of comets, type in 46P Wirtanen in the search bar tick box and add object.

Good luck

Dave

Hi Louise,

Here is what I did for 46P:

• Go to: Configuration Window > Plugins > Solar System Editor
  • Click on "Configure"
  • In the window that opens, select tab "Solar System"
  • Click on "Import orbital elements in MPC format"
  • Select the type "Comets"
  • In the dropdown menu, select "MPC's list of observable comets"
  • Press "Get orbital elements" 
  • In the window that opens, you'll see a list of objects. You can either select everything ("Mark All") or only those you want to add.
  • Tick "Update existing objects"
  • Press "Add objects", and you're done!

46P should now be visible, along with other comets you added :) 

Hope that helps!

Pierre

That's not quite what my version of Stellarium is showing, Louise,  but not sure if mine is correct either?

Maybe someone can enlighten us both?

46P.jpg.7c9b81c20ed69bf572a0958d77a5ecab.jpg

EDIT:  Just checked and Skysafari on tablet is giving a similar position to the above.  

EDIT 2: Cartes Du Ciel (which found it pretty well spot on last night|) is showing similar to the two above.

It seems to be broken in my current install of Stellarium 0.18.1 . It's something I've done at least 19 trillion, maybe 20 trillion times in the past with no problems but it's my first try with this version of Stellarium. 

When I click on "get orbital elements" a progress widow briefly flashes in the bottom r/h of the screen but so brief it doesn't even fully render (less than a frame?) and nothing else happens. No elements, no nuffin! I've tried standing on my head, sneaking up on it, WD40, everything.

I'm too tired to try and find a suitable search string for 46P to put in the individual search window.. :)   But that's ok,  so many finder maps knocking about on here and I've got SkySafari, I'm not going to struggle to know where to look for it, just need a weather window :(

1 hour ago, almcl said:

That's not quite what my version of Stellarium is showing, Louise,  but not sure if mine is correct either?

Maybe someone can enlighten us both?

46P.jpg.7c9b81c20ed69bf572a0958d77a5ecab.jpg

EDIT:  Just checked and Skysafari on tablet is giving a similar position to the above.  

EDIT 2: Cartes Du Ciel (which found it pretty well spot on last night|) is showing similar to the two above.

This will be mine at 18:00:

46P.JPG.8161ad138f853dd4b210dd6ab982a84f.JPG

Of course, it clouded over before it got dark enough to do anything :(

Louise

25 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Of course, it clouded over before it got dark enough to do anything :(

Ain't that always the way?  Too hazy for AP here so, after a fairly disastrous attempt to image it last night, we're  just running some PEC training on the mount now... 

1 hour ago, bingevader said:

I re-installed and then updated the comet list and all is well. :)

Hmmm.

I just installed v 0.18.2 and restarted the computer. Still the same for me. No updates or file download.

I deleted the minor body file and restarted. Just the same. I'm wondering if McAfee is getting in the way?

Louise,

I have the same result from Glasgow, yesterday at 6pm, both from Stellarium desktop and Stellarium web.

I have no idea if that is the actual position of the comet, but since Stellarium Web doesn't require any extra configuration to show 46P, I assume that it's the correct position :) 

As for the clouds, it seems that we share the same weather... Good luck, hopefully the sky will clear up for you!

Pierre

SD.JPG.b13f8a1f3c86c3fee2069f3c8054b584.JPG

SW.thumb.JPG.50703c820837fc88385d4a4be51083e7.JPG

14 hours ago, Paul M said:

Hmmm.

I just installed v 0.18.2 and restarted the computer. Still the same for me. No updates or file download.

I deleted the minor body file and restarted. Just the same. I'm wondering if McAfee is getting in the way?

Weirdly, when I went back to Stellarium later it just worked!

Must have been that WD40 soaking in...:)

5 hours ago, Paul M said:

Weirdly, when I went back to Stellarium later it just worked!

Must have been that WD40 soaking in...:)

Mine did that too! Maybe it needs to shutdown first? Anyway, makes no difference re 46p since it will soon be out of view for me :( Clouds and then snow for the weekend, followed by more clouds. Maybe another comet will come wandering past one day...

Louise

I just glimpsed it again from my Cumbrian dark sky site. Unexpected clearance or so I thought. By the time my eyes had adapted I could see a band of cloud encroaching on the comet and looking at everything else , the clear bits weren't so clear after all.

Anyway bagged 46P with 10 X 50s again. Easier than from home last night but still not "easy"!

Nowhere near naked eye in that sky. Bitterly cold, my eyes were streaming so even gave up on the Geminids.

Archived