Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
As my GoTo is successfully finished (some cosmetic issues remain) I shoud focus my attention on planets' positions. I have proper source of information: fantastic book "Astronomical Algorithms" by Jean Meeus, thus I will sort the planets soon. But planets are not a challenge for me at this moment, they are just something obvious to do in my list.
I have another idea and ambitious plan for next project within the year: locating and tracking the ISS to be able to make a video of its fly, not only transition.
Similarly to other objects, I need some equations. I'm pretty sure they are available somewhere, because plenty websites or apps offer showing current position of the ISS.
I will use this topic for sharing a progress ot the project.
Can anyone help? I'm pretty much a novice at this astronomy stuff but loving the steep learning curve. I started by using camera lenses modified to use an eyepiece but after much debate, deliberation and saving up, I have finally bought my first proper telescope. Unfortunately I now have a problem.
Last year I bought a second hand Synscan EQ5 mount which has worked perfectly each time I have used it. I used it about a month ago for the first time with the new scope (last time we had a clear sky). Everything worked as it should. At 2 am I parked the scope, dismantled everything and put it away. Nothing was dropped, snagged or got wet.
The forecast said we might get a clear sky last night. Anticipating this I got the mount on the bench, stripped, cleaned, polished and greased the DEC axis plain bearings (hoping this might help with guiding). When finished I connected the motor controller and handset and switched on. I was greeted with the following messages: INITIALISING then CAUTION BOTH AXES NO RESPONSE. If I press enter and carry on through the menus, then everything appears to be as it should except no motors run. I have tried everything I can think of and would be very grateful of advise or suggestions. These are things I have tried, so far:
Different power supply. I have been using a motorbike battery which is giving 13.5V constantly when I switch on. I have tried two other batteries with a 2A charger connected.
Continuity tested the cables from the plugs that go onto the motherboard of the controller all the way to the motors.
I made up the RJ45 and RJ12 diagnostic cables suggested in the manual and the handset appears to be ok.
Removed the motors from the mount to make sure that they turn freely.
Replaced the RJ45 cable from the handset to the controller.
Examined the motherboard for dry joints and damaged components.
Assembled everything in the tripod to make sure that the earthing tab on the controller made no difference.
I now feel that the problem is the controller motherboard but logic tells me that it was the mount I disassembled, so the fault should lie there. Is there anyone who has had the same problem or who has the same system that could help me diagnose the problem. I'm in North Shropshire but happy to travel to anyone who could help. Unfortunately I don't know anyone with the same mount.
I'm trying to balance my AZ-EQ5 as perfectly as I can, all was going well (all 3 axes) until I added the Polemaster. As this is off-axis it applies torque to the RA causing the axis to rotate until the Polemaster is hanging at the lowest point.
I need to couterbalance this, any ideas how?
Do I need to counterbalance this? Am I being too picky?
I have considered taking the arm off and gluing the Polemaster onto the on-axis point of the top cover, but again, is this overkill?
I've set my scope up on it's pier in my ROR observatory, done a few drift aligns and started to take some images.
I've noticed a 'quite' regular dip in my DEC line on several nights.
Would anyone be able to have a quick scan of my log and offer any insight?
Could it be backlash? Could it be something with each rotation of the gears? Faulty tooth?
It is quite regular, although not always, and always in the same direction.
It doesn't seem to be adversely affecting imaging yet, but I've not tried anything too taxing.
Recently I opened my AZ-EQ5 mount for adjusting and greasing.
I did not find any complete tutorial for this nor worm or bearings dimensions. I plan to replace some of those if I have the chance.
Meanwhile, I will add some pics of the disassembly process.
Open the plastic top case. Please excuse the USB hub attached, I did not remove that.
Pull out the cable connectors. Put the top case with the controller board aside.
The bolt inside the green circle can help you remembering or adjusting the belt tension. Loosen down the RA motor screws. Remove the belt. Unscrew the bolts. Remove the motor.
The bolts inside the green circles can help you remember and adjust the worm distance to the RA main gear. Remove the bolts holding the worm case.
Parts: RA main gear, worm case.
Remove the screws holding the encoder board. You get access to the nut holding the worm in place. Remove this too.
Remove the bolts inside the driving gear attached to the worm. Sorry, not the best pic.
You can now proceed to push out the worm and the bearings. No pics for this, sorry.
The bearings are 688Z, 16mm outer diameter, 8mm inner diameter, 5mm width.
Worm dimensions measured with the caliper: 69mm, 36mm.
Hope someone finds this useful.
I'd be interested if the worm is identical to the ones used in the HEQ5.