Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_christmas_presents_winners.thumb.jpg.0650e36a94861077374d1ab41812d185.jpg

Coastliner

Skywatcher AZ-EQ5GT DEC wobble/play

Hi All,

If I grab hold of the puck on my AZEQ5 I can make it rock back and forth by a degree or so (DEC axis), there appears to be no play in the RA axis. Does anyone else have this? Can it be adjusted out?

Thanks,

Neil.

I have the AZ-EQ6 & yes there was some slop, which I've managed to remove by adjusting worm tensions & ensuring that the puck's 3 allen keyed bolts are done up....

Hi Neil

Not quite, I'm afraid. My AZEQ5 has significant slop in the RA axis instead. Which affects how well the mount can be used in Alt-Az mode. Went back to the supplier who discussed with SkyWatcher. We even sent a video, but SW said it was supposed to be like that and not a fault. If anyone knows a way to reduce movement on that axis as well, I'd certainly be very grateful. Perhaps I'll have to have a go at the worms one day, when I'm feeling brave.

The Dec axis is not so bad on mine and looseness in that one is a bit easier to overcome by slightly unbalancing the scope. But that doesn't work with the RA axis, which is vertical in Alt-Az mode, of course. I generally use it in EQ mode now, where I can unbalance things to help (probably not good for the long term health of the motors ...). But that spoils the point of the mount, somewhat.

It wasn't for the slop it would be a great mount, but as it is I can't honestly recommend it. Which is a shame.

Gordon

Thanks for the replies guys. I only use mine in EQ. I might pluck up the courage to have a look inside sometime to adjust the play, but in the meantime I'll use back-heavy balance on the tube so that it sits hard on one end of the slop. I've just had the mount back fro Darkframe where it had the Stellardrive mod done, I had hoped that they would take the slop out for me.

Surely Darkframe should have sorted that out as part of their Stellardrive mod. I'd get in contact with them and ask them to fix it.

Dave

Yup. Just done so. Also, strangely, since they upgraded the firmware on the handset it will slew to solar system objects but will not slew to stars, the handset says "slewing" but nnothing moves and nothing happens when any buttons are pressed. The only way out is to power-cycle the mount. Everything works via EQMOD/ Stellarium, and also works with the handset from my EQ3. As an ex-computer engineer I know that f/w upgrades can go wrong, so this is not Darkfame's fault, just bad luck.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Coastliner said:

As an ex-computer engineer I know that f/w upgrades can go wrong, so this is not Darkfame's fault, just bad luck.

It should have been tested after the upgrade though surely? I would certainly go back to the on the backlash issue.

Hi Neil @Coastliner

Just wondering if youd had  a successful resolution? I'm thinking of getting either an AZ-EQ5 Pier mount tripod, or an EQM-35 ... main drivers being portability and ability to store things/carry equipment up and down stairs , but worried about the wobble if using, say, an EdgeHD 8.

Best wishes

Sanj

Hi Sanj, I ended up sending my AZ-EQ5GT mount to Darkframe for their Stellardrive upgrade, they fixed the DEC wobble as well, and the mount is a lot better overall. There are instructions on how to clear the DEC play on the net if you are ok with small mechanics. It just involves re-aligning the worm gear to remove the play.

Thanks Neil, I ended up getting a great deal on the EQM-35. , figured it's a cheap entry point from which to upgrade, and quite portable. Trouble is it's still in its box as there have been no clear skies since purchase!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.