Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher AZ-EQ5GT DEC wobble/play

Coastliner

Hi Neil

Not quite, I'm afraid. My AZEQ5 has significant slop in the RA axis instead. Which affects how well the mount can be used in Alt-Az mode. Went back to the supplier who discussed with SkyWatcher. We even sent a video, but SW said it was supposed to be like that and not a fault. If anyone knows a way to reduce movement on that axis as well, I'd certainly be very grateful. Perhaps I'll have to have a go at the worms one day, when I'm feeling brave.

The Dec axis is not so bad on mine and looseness in that one is a bit easier to overcome by slightly unbalancing the scope. But that doesn't work with the RA axis, which is vertical in Alt-Az mode, of course. I generally use it in EQ mode now, where I can unbalance things to help (probably not good for the long term health of the motors ...). But that spoils the point of the mount, somewhat.

It wasn't for the slop it would be a great mount, but as it is I can't honestly recommend it. Which is a shame.

Gordon

Thanks for the replies guys. I only use mine in EQ. I might pluck up the courage to have a look inside sometime to adjust the play, but in the meantime I'll use back-heavy balance on the tube so that it sits hard on one end of the slop. I've just had the mount back fro Darkframe where it had the Stellardrive mod done, I had hoped that they would take the slop out for me.

Yup. Just done so. Also, strangely, since they upgraded the firmware on the handset it will slew to solar system objects but will not slew to stars, the handset says "slewing" but nnothing moves and nothing happens when any buttons are pressed. The only way out is to power-cycle the mount. Everything works via EQMOD/ Stellarium, and also works with the handset from my EQ3. As an ex-computer engineer I know that f/w upgrades can go wrong, so this is not Darkfame's fault, just bad luck.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Coastliner said:

As an ex-computer engineer I know that f/w upgrades can go wrong, so this is not Darkfame's fault, just bad luck.

It should have been tested after the upgrade though surely? I would certainly go back to the on the backlash issue.

• 5 months later...

Hi Neil @Coastliner

Just wondering if youd had  a successful resolution? I'm thinking of getting either an AZ-EQ5 Pier mount tripod, or an EQM-35 ... main drivers being portability and ability to store things/carry equipment up and down stairs , but worried about the wobble if using, say, an EdgeHD 8.

Best wishes

Sanj

Hi Sanj, I ended up sending my AZ-EQ5GT mount to Darkframe for their Stellardrive upgrade, they fixed the DEC wobble as well, and the mount is a lot better overall. There are instructions on how to clear the DEC play on the net if you are ok with small mechanics. It just involves re-aligning the worm gear to remove the play.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Neil, I ended up getting a great deal on the EQM-35. , figured it's a cheap entry point from which to upgrade, and quite portable. Trouble is it's still in its box as there have been no clear skies since purchase!

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/06/2019 at 00:45, Sanjio said:

Thanks Neil, I ended up getting a great deal on the EQM-35. , figured it's a cheap entry point from which to upgrade, and quite portable. Trouble is it's still in its box as there have been no clear skies since purchase!

In fact I took he EQM back and now have an AZEQ5 which seems of much higher quality. Mounted it and didn't notice any wobble, but did notice that I could rotate the DEC and RA even with clutches locked (loaded with 8 inch SCT and weights, balanced)...perhaps that's normal, or perhaps I need to tighten the clutches more?

Edited by Sanjio

9 hours ago, johninderby said:

If the clutches are tightened properly you shouldn’t be able to move it. Mine locks up quite solidly.

Thanks, will try again. To you have a apply a fair bit of force? Perhaps I'm being too gentle!

I found that the clutches on my AZEQ5 needed to be clamped down very hard to stop it moving. I guess the Freedom Find should mean it retains calibration even if moved manually? Probably not relevant for imaging though.

I did also have slop in the DEC axis on mine which I found annoying at high power.

• Like 1

You will also find that if you tighten the clutches too hard you will have hard time releasing them. I find that if you apply enough pressure on the clutches to stop it moving around when you nudge it that is enough. I don't screw them down so hard that I cannot alter the position at all.

• Like 1

The main problem is if you adjust everything @ room temperature & go out on a very cold night. You will find

everything tightens , up as I have found out. Trying to adjust everything on a cold night , is not much fun ,but that is what

I did on my CG-5 . Worth the effort.

• Like 1