Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet 46P/Wirtanen

Hallingskies

1685843239_46Pcolour1.thumb.jpg.4a5a0b63d48683e5e5391ebce49d373b.jpg

From last night, horrible seeing, 100 x 60s L, 20 each 60s RGB, sigma/colour stacked in Astroart and finished off in PSP.  Guided on the comet nucleus with PHD.  The comet is moving quite quickly against the star background, which was handy as it allowed me to move the scope back and capture additional RGB frames for background star colours without the comet in the way.  This looks much better on my laptop than on my iPad, the latter showing up gradient rings in the comet...

8 hours ago, Moonshane said:

Are the ripples on the right of the coma artifacts of processing or real I wonder?

Great Image.

I think the streaks may be residues of the star trails that were otherwise largely taken out with the sigma stacking.  I have since reworked this image (see my blog) with a less aggressive stretch.  This is a better rendition (I think) and has revealed some slight structure to the nucleus and a bit of a tail.  As is so often the case, less is more...

Archived