Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Storing mount in shed - good idea?

Hi,

just a quick question really.    With my garage full of stuff after emptying the loft, I’ve been keeping my eq6-r mount and tripod in our wooden shed, with a tarpaulin covering it.

the shed is watertight but draughty.   Outside temperatures are dropping occasionally below zero here now.

is this going to harm the mount/mechanics/grease/bearings/electronics etc?

keeping it in the shed works quite well as it’s a bit fiddly to get the mount from garage to garden ?    I keep the scope and camera in the garage still.

any advice much appreciated.   I have a feeling it is Ok in the shed, after all, it quite often sits outside, frosting up for hours on end, while I’m actually using it!  

No, it will be fine, the fact that it is draughty is a bonus, as ventilation and being dry, mean no condensation, the killer of metal items...

But maybe remove the non breathable cover as that is not good, either get a breathable one, or use a cotton sheet or large towel..  :)

Morning ?

I'm in a similar position to yourself at the moment. Remember that many people keep their mounts on a pier in roll off roof observatories. Some of them nothing more than a traditional shed with a few strengthening tweaks. Good suggestion about letting air get round it though. I do have an old bed sheet over mine just as a dust cover, but that's all. As long as you don't have water coming through the roof, you should be fine ?

Archived