Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Kusanagi

DIY dob for a 250 PDS

Hi after wanting a scope for over  thirty years I  finally got  around to buying one ( a second hand 250 PDS ) and as I am at the moment only going to using it for visual use I thought that a dob mount would do the job. With this in mind I did lots of research and then designed my dob stand to suit my scope, the dob was mainly constructed of chipboard, laminate worktop and hardwood I had laying around left after other DIY projects from around the house.

I also machined up some nylon bearings to run on the laminate surfaces of the altitude and azimuth bearings ( this is quite smooth but it needs a little lubrication with some Teflon spay every now and again ) and to make moving it around a little easy I fixed some braked casters to the base, The dob was also sprayed with some paint I had left over from spaying my car.

P1010100a.jpg.81dfc87e40ceb83b22db39b5cb983307.jpgP1010101a.jpg.b639e78327730e7720309427f1e6ae2b.jpgP1010105a.jpg.3ca1b63f6af54665cc4254e5eb0467d7.jpgP1010106a.jpg.8d6010f52f62c034e9e44ac1fe2c2c83.jpg

There are some further mods I will be making in future such as making the dob easy to take apart so I can get it in the back of a car and I fully intend to make and fit a DIY digital turning circle setup which will be paired to sky safari on my tablet at a later date, but first I want to get some viewing in as it stands.

• Like 9

Well had this out tonight for its first proper use thanks to a neighbour  who lent me some short focal length plossel  lenses and all I can say is wow, we hit the pleiades  then  Andromeda then the north American nebula ( which was not to good thanks to poor seeing ) and mars, then the moon which even with some cloud was fantastic.

• Like 2