SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Do I need the Baader Cloth?

emadmoussa

4 hours ago, JOC said:

It's not that, but I always have issues when I see big companies making large profits from the sale of pretty basic stuff.  Of course it gets positive reviews from hundreds of users.  They've obviously swayed loads of folks to try it and when they have well clearly it works, but then they would hardly sell something that doesn't and so you get loads of positive reviews - I used it - wonderful stuff - won't buy anything else etc.  The thing is if the first person had tried Bill Bloggs product X first and it had worked then Baader Wonderfluid probably wouldn't have sold as everyone would be raving about Bill Bloggs product X.  The thing is that its really nothing special and there are probably loads of alternatives which would do every bit good a job. 

Still I guess it's not my pocket, and if you want to use it then you absolutely will do no harm, but I won't be buying any myself!

I bought isopropyl, distilled water, and fibre cloths, all came a bit more than the price of Wonder Fluid. Initially, I thought I'd make something from scratch, then realised...oh, I do actually have much else to do. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, emadmoussa said:

I bought isopropyl, distilled water, and fibre cloths, all came a bit more than the price of Wonder Fluid. Initially, I thought I'd make something from scratch, then realised...oh, I do actually have much else to do. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Photographic-Solutions-10x10cm-Pec-Pack/dp/B0001M6K24

Photographic-Solutions-Pec-Pads.jpg

19 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Good job Emad :thumbsup:

Dave

When you look from an angle, the reflected light shows some faint water marks where the large bits of fungus used to be. Apart from that, it's squeaky clean now. 

I have to say, under the stars last night, before I cleaned the corrector and with a bit of fog on the front, the scope delivered very contrasty images. Compared to my previous C11, the Meade UHTC coating definitely lives up to its name. The FOV with Plossls was somewhat tight, made me feel claustrophobic.  

Before the clean, it was perhaps 95% collimated. This evening I took out it under the stars to re-collimate. To my surprise, collimation held. Not only that, it even got better. The disk test showed, to my eye, 100% alignment. Benign gremlins at work? I'm just relieved I didn't have to fiddle in the dark....phew!! 

Archived