Narrowband

Meade SolarMax III - any users out there???

• 2 months later...

Well, considering the price difference between the 60mm SolarMax II and the 70mm SolarMax III (which has a 60mm Front Etalon which can be removed to use as a 70mm doublet telescope at night) is quite high. 

I have read a couple of comments that the new Solarmax is sharper than the previous one, but old one was EUR 1,290 and new one is EUR 2,990.  Both 60mm front etalon, both BF10 blocking filter, both around 0.7 Angstrom band width. It appears the regular focuser added Vs the old rotating helical focuser and the addition of a Vixen dovetail, plus some tweaks to the etalon are - ahem - worth EUR 1,700. Talk about marketing done in extremis.

I note that the Lunt 60mm with a B1200 blocking filter (let's call it a BF12) and perfectly serviceable Crayford focuser is EUR 2,575 (TS description on this model re FTF is in error), sans eyepiece and dovetail, so almost at the same price as the Solarmax III if you include these bits.

To bottomline it, Coronado has decided to price up to the levels of Lunt. Now, it remains to see if the quality justifies the price. I am probably going to grab me a solar scope late this year and I have just begun researching this. And despite my gripe about the price increase, if the performance is on par to the Lunt (I have tried a 50mm, loved it but want that little bit extra - 60mm. Was thinking of the 80mm but we are firmly out of the realm of grab and go then for quick views), I will probably go for the Coronado as I like its looks more, plus I can also have it in a case with my 2" Herschel wedge and swap diagonals and remove front etalon to view in white light...

3 hours ago, nicoscy said:

Well, considering the price difference between the 60mm SolarMax II and the 70mm SolarMax III (which has a 60mm Front Etalon which can be removed to use as a 70mm doublet telescope at night) is quite high. 

I have read a couple of comments that the new Solarmax is sharper than the previous one, but old one was EUR 1,290 and new one is EUR 2,990.  Both 60mm front etalon, both BF10 blocking filter, both around 0.7 Angstrom band width. It appears the regular focuser added Vs the old rotating helical focuser and the addition of a Vixen dovetail, plus some tweaks to the etalon are - ahem - worth EUR 1,700. Talk about marketing done in extremis.

this one is BF15 blocking filter,  0.5 Angstrom,I think it worth this money.

SolarMax III telescopes have an improved focuser with sensitive focusing and other high-quality features

Edited by Nojus

12 minutes ago, nicoscy said:

Nojus, you got the double stacked?

A question: can the top of the diagonal be removed and a Clicklock installed like one can do with the Lunt Blocking filter diagonal?

I think this is unlikely. I have a few Coronado Blocking filter diagonals that look to be the same as those fitted to the Solarmax lll, the filter is fitted to the eyepiece holder unit.   ?

5 hours ago, nicoscy said:

Nojus, you got the double stacked?

A question: can the top of the diagonal be removed and a Clicklock installed like one can do with the Lunt Blocking filter diagonal?

yes,double stacked .. What about the top of diagonal? Positive , it is unscrew able

9 hours ago, Nojus said:

yes,double stacked .. What about the top of diagonal? Positive , it is unscrew able

I just hate screw marks and the diagonal has a single screw :(

But, being T2 on top, a short T2 to 1.25” adapter can be used, “sacrificing” 16mm

6 hours ago, David Smith said:

Look forward to hearing how this performs. Will you be imaging with it?

yes ,my favorite will be EAA , I've had first light today , just visual and I had view like this ..I'm totally  happy with this fella..

img_2672.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nicoscy said:

I’d appreciate it as well if you share your observations with us. Both single and double stacked!

will do it on first possibility, today was just first light observation .. very short

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 21:45, Peter Drew said:

I think this is unlikely. I have a few Coronado Blocking filter diagonals that look to be the same as those fitted to the Solarmax lll, the filter is fitted to the eyepiece holder unit.   ?

no,the eyepiece holder unit is empty cylinder ,BF is deeper in diagonal

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...