Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is the market slow...? Or just Xmas?

emadmoussa

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do think there is a tendency for pricing to be lower than before, which I think we should all regret. I'm not sure if it is I'm just the economic climate, or the fact that the hobby has opened up to a much wider audience more used to driving hard bargains on eBay. We all lose out ultimately if pricing of good used kit falls too far as it will be much more difficult to try and then sell on with small losses 

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

I do think there is a tendency for pricing to be lower than before, which I think we should all regret. I'm not sure if it is I'm just the economic climate, or the fact that the hobby has opened up to a much wider audience more used to driving hard bargains on eBay. We all lose out ultimately if pricing of good used kit falls too far as it will be much more difficult to try and then sell on with small losses 

Gosh, I totally hate bidding on Ebay. Every astro stuff I had on my watch list sold for a lot more than you would normally on ABS or here. I think some people get carried away fuelled by competitiveness and, sometimes, lack of experience. Ebay's fees are also ridiculous. 

Everything i sell on ebay sells for a lots less than it's worth. In appeals ebay always sides with the buyer and i mean always. So i use ENS optical quite often to sell as they are so pleasant. Yes i get less, but in a cordial manner. And ENS are close to me. ABS and SGL are good, but i have to be patient.

If you want a specific amount for your gear on ebay and aren't willing to take less then set a starting bid at an appropriate amount.  At the end of the day its the seller's call - set a higher amount and risk it not selling or take a lower amount.  Is it worth more to you sitting on a shelf or more (any! more) with pound notes (any number) in your pocket?.  It's no different to the vagaries of the stocks and shares markets.   It's either  buyers market or a sellers market.  If you can afford to sit on your outlay in the hope that prices will rise then do so, if you can't then you may have to take the loss and say 'c'est la vie'.

I always find it best to sell astro kit on here or on UKABS, that way you stand a good chance of getting a buyer who knows the proper worth of the kit and not some numpty trying to get something for as cheap as possible.  I've never sold astro kit on Ebay.

So i use ENS optical quite often to sell as they are so pleasant. Yes i get less, but in a cordial manner. And ENS are close to me. ABS and SGL are good, but i have to be patient.

Yes he's an honest trader.  I was thinking of selling a couple of items to him that I am not likely to sell on Astro selling forums.

Carole 

I've bought one or two cheaper astro items 3D printed off of ebay and one EP a Baader Morpheus 14mm that I picked up for £120 which was a fairly good price, but I much prefer buying through SGL except for the fact that I spend far too much money!!

4 minutes ago, carastro said:

I always find it best to sell astro kit on here or on UKABS, that way you stand a good chance of getting a buyer who knows the proper worth of the kit and not some numpty trying to get something for as cheap as possible.  I've never sold astro kit on Ebay.

Yes he's an honest trader.  I was thinking of selling a couple of items to him that I am not likely to sell on Astro selling forums.

Carole 

Although, perhaps not the best communicator in the world. I decided not to buy a scope from him because he ignored the three emails I sent him. He probably never received them, to be fair. At the moment, I have an Altair Astro diagonal on order from him  - placed about 5 days ago. So far, nothing, I don't know whether or not it was dispatched. I'll probably give him a ring tomorrow. 

31 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Didn't you get a lot of the gear you are selling 'free' as part of a different purchase? If so, maybe share the good fortune, reduce prices below standard and sell quickly. Then everyone's a winner ?

I actually gave some away for free. Now, I'm just trying to raise some cash for a 100ED and replenish my bleeding bank account. That said, I'm open to offers, the price isn't carved in stone, per se. 

I thank Sales (Bank of SGL) helping out re. "temporary cash flow" issues!
I like to think the purchasers enjoyed "my precious" stuff sold at 60%? ?
Sometimes purchasers have communicated their appreciation of this...

Fortunes change though? I think I have managed to buy back most of
the stuff I NEED. Like many Astronomers, I'll never end up being "rich"? ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2018 at 13:03, andrew s said:

In the end what an item is worth is set by what someone is willing to pay for it.

Regards Andrew 

That's only half the story. the other half is what the seller is willing to accept. I'd rather keep something than sell for a ridiculously low price.

I guess what I'm saying is "an item is only worth what buyer and seller can agree upon" In which case, everything has two values

5 hours ago, Scott said:

That's only half the story. the other half is what the seller is willing to accept. I'd rather keep something than sell for a ridiculously low price.

I guess what I'm saying is "an item is only worth what buyer and seller can agree upon" In which case, everything has two values

It may have a minimum value to you but if you can't realise it what does that mean in the real world?

Regards Andrew 

5 hours ago, Scott said:

Very true, but everything that actually sells has one price at the time.

18 minutes ago, andrew s said:

It may have a minimum value to you but if you can't realise it what does that mean in the real world?

Regards Andrew 

Real world? Not selling an item for less than I'm happy with IS real world to me. 

17 minutes ago, Stu said:

Very true, but everything that actually sells has one price at the time.

No. It's both. what the seller wants and what the buyer is prepared to pay. 

I don't understand how people don't get that if a seller is NOT prepared to sell for less than X, then that's how much it's worth to him.
Now if anyone can explain why a buyers opinion is worth more than the sellers, well that's a different story

Archived