SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC918 through a veil of cirrus

Barry-Wilson

A rarely imaged pretty spiral galaxy splendidly positioned through galactic cirrus/IFN was an instant attraction to Steve and I and the target does fit nicely on the 690 Sony chip imaged at 0.75"/px through the TEC140.  It's quite a low target even for our remote set up in Spain and certainly not a target I could image from my home observatory, so very pleased to have captured this beautiful target.

Details:

• TEC140 with TEC flattener
  • 10 Micron GM2000HPS II UP
  • QSI690wsg-8 with Astrodon filters
  • Lum 47 x 600s; 26 x 600s each RGB

NGC918_LRGB_Blend.thumb.jpg.c40c0e476380365a6b735537c9a11230.jpg

Woow! That is a new one. The dust really adds a lot to the image and with a longer FL you would have missed it. So perfect FOV. Of course a bit frustrating to be reminded of all the great stuff we cannot see from up here.

Oooo, very nice Barry. The dust frames the galaxy beautifully. This is a new one to me. I’ve just looked it up on Sky Safari and am happy to see that it isn’t that low, so will have to be added to my long ‘to do’ list... one day I might be able to attempt a version through a more earthly veil of Wiltshire cirrus...!

Really nice framing and I do think the IFN complements the brighter, tight detail of the galaxy, quite fortunate that there is a gap in the clouds.

I must admit when I read the title of the post I initially thought you were imaging through terrestrial clouds from your UK observatory, but knowing the very high standard of images you and Steve produce I should have known better!

On 11/12/2018 at 20:49, carastro said:

Very nice Barry. Not heard of this one. 

Carole

Cheers Carole.

On 11/12/2018 at 21:24, Sunshine said:

Thats so darn pretty, it looks like something out of a movie.

You couldn’t imagine a more fortuitous alignment could you?  A wider FOV would als have plenty of imapact as well I think.

On 12/12/2018 at 05:58, gorann said:

Woow! That is a new one. The dust really adds a lot to the image and with a longer FL you would have missed it. So perfect FOV. Of course a bit frustrating to be reminded of all the great stuff we cannot see from up here.

Thanks Goran - we knew the potential as soon as we sa the first few luminance frames; Steve calibrated after a few rolled in and the composition got us both excited.

22 hours ago, PhotoGav said:

Oooo, very nice Barry. The dust frames the galaxy beautifully. This is a new one to me. I’ve just looked it up on Sky Safari and am happy to see that it isn’t that low, so will have to be added to my long ‘to do’ list... one day I might be able to attempt a version through a more earthly veil of Wiltshire cirrus...!

Fabulous, would look great in your Edge 8”, possibly a wide field view too.

12 hours ago, tomato said:

Really nice framing and I do think the IFN complements the brighter, tight detail of the galaxy, quite fortunate that there is a gap in the clouds.

I must admit when I read the title of the post I initially thought you were imaging through terrestrial clouds from your UK observatory, but knowing the very high standard of images you and Steve produce I should have known better!

I admit I did pause twice when I typed the post ? however I though using the word ‘cirrus’ did make the topic header flow better (you probably know that cirrus is commonly used and interchangeable with IFN in scientific papers).

Very surreal looking image, I recall imaging the galaxy some years ago with the 10" SCT but don't remember any trace of IFN, doubt it I'd even heard of it then :grin:

I see December AN have changed your name to Steve.

Dave

Archived