Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Newbie in Cumbria

David Hardie

Hello everyone! Just joined today having got back into astronomy a month or two ago. 10 or more years ago I was quite keen and had an Orion reflector scope and really enjoyed looking at the moon and planets. Unfortunately it all had to go when the wife also went. LOL.

However now things are OK again I visited FLO for new equipment. I'm only 7 short years off retirement so I thought I would buy decent kit so it would last well into old age!

So I got a Celestron 8 inch SCT Edge HD and a Skywatcher Esprit Pro 100, along with various eyepieces from Vixen and Baader. The AVX mount does for both.

Thing is now though I need to learn how to use it all. Using the Celestron I got good views of the moon but my attempts at planet observation were disappointing, couln't seem to focus well but maybe the sky was poor.

My main objective is to learn the AVX mount to be able to set up properly and track objects, and to view the Andromeda Galaxy. Years ago with the Orion I saw the Orion Nebula which was a brilliant sight. Future plans are to photograph deep sky objects.

Hoping to learn lots from fellow members. Maybe I even have some neighbours?

Cheers. David

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Demonperformer said:

Hi, David, and welcome to SGL.

When you are ready to take the leap, do yourself a favour and get a copy of this book. It will save you time, money and heartach in the long run.

Enjoy the journey.

Thanks for the message! The guys at FLO advised on that book and I ordered it. Cheers for mentioning it !

David

A warm welcome back to SGL David.  You'll know from your past tenure here what a fine group
we have here. This is the most rock steady and friendly forum you will find anywhere.
West Cumbria,  so Workington, Whitehaven, or The Lake District perhaps?

I'm in Carlisle, and the sun is actually shining today, so there's a surprise ?.
Hope you get some kit sorted out soon. First Light Optics have a great crew, and they
cater for all Astro. requirements, you'll not get better service than they provide.
Best Wishes.
Ron.

3 hours ago, barkis said:

A warm welcome back to SGL David.  You'll know from your past tenure here what a fine group
we have here. This is the most rock steady and friendly forum you will find anywhere.
West Cumbria,  so Workington, Whitehaven, or The Lake District perhaps?

I'm in Carlisle, and the sun is actually shining today, so there's a surprise ?.
Hope you get some kit sorted out soon. First Light Optics have a great crew, and they
cater for all Astro. requirements, you'll not get better service than they provide.
Best Wishes.
Ron.

Hi Ron! Thanks. I live in Greysouthen which is in between Cockermouth and Workington.  so quite dark. I work in Carlisle as a train driver! FLO have been great and lots of parcels arrived!! Might be out tonight!! David

54 minutes ago, David Hardie said:

Cheers mate not far away near Cockermouth! Work in Carlisle though!

David

My neighbours lights ain't that bad it's the surrounding street lamps with they're glow.

Where in Carlisle do you work?

Tonight supppsed to be pretty clear after 730 onwards so my camera will be out. ?

21 minutes ago, Stu Wilson said:

My neighbours lights ain't that bad it's the surrounding street lamps with they're glow.

Where in Carlisle do you work?

Tonight supppsed to be pretty clear after 730 onwards so my camera will be out. ?

Hi mate. I work at Direct Rail Services at Etterby

Archived