Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ZWO ASI294MC

gary1968

5 hours ago, Thalestris24 said:

Hi

An Evostar ED80 may be ok (there are other models/brands) - you'd definitely want the 0.85 reducer - that would bring your focal length down to 510mm - maybe still a leetle long for a 183 (less than 1"/pixel). It's worth checking your fov with a calculator such as  http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fovcalc.php It will show you the relative size of a selected target for your scope/camera combo and calculate the pixel scale. I've been thinking about getting an asi183mc pro myself but if I ever do I'd put it on a shorter frac with a reducer so shorter still - less than 400mm. Do take your time and don't spend anything until you're sure about what you want, why you want it and what you intend to do with it. A good refractor will cost more than an equivalent reflector but is likely to be less hassle and pretty much maintenance-free.

Louise

As for what I will be using it for, widefield DSO stuff mainly, nebulae, some galaxies, star clusters etc.... I'd like to revisit most of the objects I've imaged before as its been a while.

I will most likely be buying either a new eq5pro ar a 2nd hand heq5pro..... I know how good the heq5 is as I've had them in the past..... I haven't had much experience with the eq5, other than I had a cg5gt a while back and it was a nightmare to guide.... If I go for the eq5pro I hope its better than the cg5gt.

Thanks, Gaz

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decision made, I'm going for the Skywatcher 72ED and the ASI183MC Pro. I have seen some images taken with that camera and a similar 420mmfl scope on the ZWO Facebook page and it seems to be a nice combination.

Still to decide on the mount but it'll be a eq5 or heq5, that little imaging package wont strain a eq5 so I wont rule that out.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Gaz

Archived