Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which Deep sky/ moon atlas?

Olli

Hi

i am in a hunt for a deep sky atlas I have turn left at Orion but would like something else. I have been looking at the interstellarum atlases but I’m a bit confused as there seem to be two different versions a blue and a pink version. What are the differences between the two? And are there any other similar books out there that are just as good or a bit cheaper as that’s quite expensive. I am also looking for a good moon atlas.

Thanks in advanced :)

The blue version is the field edtion and is on waterproof material. The pink edtion is the normal inside edtion. Apart from that they are both the same. Yes they are pricy but excellent for an intermediate level atlas. I am guessing you will gets lots of people saying you don't need an atlas with all the mobile devices and software around but I disagree here.

Owen

I use the Sky and Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas which I find very useful indeed. I also have Interstellarium (field edition) which I use when I want to go deeper and in more detail. I supplement those with Cartes du Ciel and Stellarium plus Stellarium Mobile and Sky Safari 5 on my phone.

Personally I enjoy using a hard copy atlas more than an Android / Windows based one.

This website has excellent star charts for free if you don't mind printing them out:

http://www.deepskywatch.com/deepsky-atlas.html

2 hours ago, obrazell said:

The blue version is the field edtion and is on waterproof material. The pink edtion is the normal inside edtion. Apart from that they are both the same. Yes they are pricy but excellent for an intermediate level atlas. I am guessing you will gets lots of people saying you don't need an atlas with all the mobile devices and software around but I disagree here.

Owen

Owen, sorry to correct you, but that’s not quite the case. 

The blue is the Atlas desk version. The black (or brown to some eyes) is the Atlas field version. And the pink is the new guide to accompany either Atlas. The pink guide is completely different, but complementary to the others  

I have all 3 versions and have just double checked...

@Olli Any photos of pages, or descriptions you want, just holler... It’s one of the best atlases we own. And this is a really good guide to lunar viewing I find... Click here

AA9F8FED-5530-4235-9021-A2BFC7998FA3.thumb.jpeg.43a7a671dfaabb49e2d7c7fa2a49a61a.jpeg

3 hours ago, John said:

I use the Sky and Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas which I find very useful indeed. I also have Interstellarium (field edition) which I use when I want to go deeper and in more detail. I supplement those with Cartes du Ciel and Stellarium plus Stellarium Mobile and Sky Safari 5 on my phone.

Personally I enjoy using a hard copy atlas more than an Android / Windows based one.

This website has excellent star charts for free if you don't mind printing them out:

http://www.deepskywatch.com/deepsky-atlas.html

Hi John 

Thanks for the help i already have the pocket atlas i was just looking for something tbat jas more detail. I do also use a tablet as well but find sometimes that ruins my vision even if it has a red light setting. I will have a look at the link.

3 hours ago, Stargazer McCabe said:

Owen, sorry to correct you, but that’s not quite the case. 

The blue is the Atlas desk version. The black (or brown to some eyes) is the Atlas field version. And the pink is the new guide to accompany either Atlas. The pink guide is completely different, but complementary to the others  

I have all 3 versions and have just double checked...

@Olli Any photos of pages, or descriptions you want, just holler... It’s one of the best atlases we own. And this is a really good guide to lunar viewing I find... Click here

AA9F8FED-5530-4235-9021-A2BFC7998FA3.thumb.jpeg.43a7a671dfaabb49e2d7c7fa2a49a61a.jpeg

Thank you for the help. 

1 hour ago, Olli said:

I do also use a tablet as well but find sometimes that ruins my vision even if it has a red light setting

Easily to be cured by using this:

http://www.siriusastroproducts.com/products---red-eyes-computeriphonedslr-light-shield.html

Blocks the LED backlight of smartphone/tablet screens very efficiently. I wrote a review about this light shield in the Member Equipment Review section here in August 2017; still unrestrictedly valid; have a look:

Very recommendable (of course, no affiliation etc.)

Stephan

Good spot by @Stargazer McCabeon the pink edition being the field guide (I wouldn’t know yet but I understand a certain white-bearded red-suited gentleman may enlighten me soon). 

Personally I love the Interstellarum atlas for deep sky and find it very intuitive (the waterproof version is pricey but worth it for the sort of abuse it takes). I’ve always struggled with the S&T atlas; I just don’t find it detailed enough and I find the chart layout confusing, although that’s probably a consequence of using two atlases at the same time and having only one brain.

On 10/12/2018 at 13:10, Olli said:

Hi John 

Thanks for the help i already have the pocket atlas i was just looking for something tbat jas more detail. I do also use a tablet as well but find sometimes that ruins my vision even if it has a red light setting. I will have a look at the link.

I use the one that John linked to. It's just at the right level of detail for my 8" dob. 

I keep it in one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LTLCC5K/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_6EofCbVZDSXZP

Archived