SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Comet P46/Wirtanen and first attempt at sketching

Well I could have done imaging tonight, it stayed clear much longer than forecast!

Instead I tried for the comet with bins (no success) then set up the dob. After coming in to check Stellarium twice I finally saw a faint hint using x40, which got clearer and clearer as my eyes adapted until I could see a definite bright core surrounded by a huge area of faint corona. At x50 and then x64 it got bigger(!) but I didn't bother with higher magnification, instead I had my first try at sketching. I made a mess of the comet (it looked like the spaghetti nebula) and erasing a few duff stars so this is tidied up a bit on the computer (is that allowed?) In reality the corona was completely smooth and probably a fair bit bigger with averted vision.

I also got to do some other observing, M32 was BIG, Mars was rock steady at x320, but although the phase was clear it was a red, white blue tricolour so no detail. With it already among tree branches it wasn't worth getting the ADC out. Plieades were really clear as was double cluster and the Hyades. Auriga was awash with stars so I'm not sure if I found some clusters or not! I got my first 'airy disc' on Capella, it was not quite round so perhaps a bit more collimation needed.

I waited for Orion to clear the house and despite thin cloud moving in at x64 the trapezium was super clear and plenty of textured nebulosity in teh Orion nebula. I could even see hints of nebulosity in  the Running Man area, all promising great things in better conditions.

Here are my sketches, rotated to be 'right way up' - I will now check them against Stellarium and discover how inaccurate they are!

518052041_P46wirtanen.thumb.JPG.118b189da55898c383a3828a97959113.JPG

148096236_P46wirtanenInverted.thumb.JPG.cd518c0d8fd6ce35d1f4d2ce305d6a8d.JPG

Archived