SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

46P/Wirtanen and the Importance of Good Planning

Last night I took some friends out to see 46P/Wirtanen. I learned some lessons from my last failed attempt to spot a comet a few months ago. This time I really studied in detail the area where it would be found at that precise time, making it fairly easy to find with binoculars. Unfortunately, it wasn't visible with the naked eye where we were, but it was quite a joy to be able to hand the binoculars to my friends and talk them through the star hops they needed to find it.

I hope it's clear later this week when I should be able to get my scope on it easily (it will be near two easily spotted stars). I will be in Vancouver on Dec. 16 for its closest approach, so I'm not holding my breath for clear skies.

32 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Yes, there's a post on here somewhere with instructions. Basically go to settings then solar then load comet data.

Hi - ok got it - F2 configuration > plug ins > solar system editor > configure > >solar system > import orbital elements > online search > enter 46P/Wirtanen

select it in the box and add object.

Looking forward to a clear sky this eve ?

Thanks to the O.P and others for info on Stellarium.

Got the data on 46P Wirtanen in Stellarium now and hopefully the weather here clears around 3am.

I'm hoping that from my location I can catch a glimpse of this comet early tomorrow.

Archived