Narrowband

Venus 8/12/18 through mini Mak

tooth_dr

Practically every morning I get the kids up and look out their blinds I can see Venus. I’ve been meaning to use my telescope but due to being set up for imaging I never feel like dismantling it all to pop in an eyepiece.

Our club had an outreach event on Friday night which was unfortunately a wash out. But it did make me organise my kit as I brought some scopes with me to show any visitors. As a result I felt motivated to observe Venus today with the kit I had just set up a couple of days ago.

A thin crescent was easily seen using a Meade 26mm eyepiece in the 60mm F8 Mak on a SA mount giving a magnification of x27.  I went up to 15mm and 6.4mm EPs giving magnifications of x47 and x109. No additional detail was resolved and I went back to 26mm EP which gave a bright comfortable view.

The best part was the surprise from the wife and kids that Venus was a crescent like the moon.

And to top it off I left the mount tracking, and came out 60 minutes later, removed the cap and it was still visible with a slight Dec nudge (it was locked and capped in the front porch away from kids etc as the sun was out).

Thanks

Adam. 

BD26F9BA-04F7-4C4D-914D-A08DD3DDE4DD.jpeg

872A71E7-85BF-42C5-B6BE-3A2DAE5A0E4A.jpeg

Lucky to be clear this evening and with the mak still set up we had a look at Mars. It’s really tiny.

As one of my daughters was looking she says ‘I can’t see the robot’.  Bless her!

Going to need a bigger scope. 

Archived