Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_peoples_choice_2018_winners.thumb.jpg.d8ce9c6569dfc2f48814f6d87da46170.jpg

RobertI

First session in 84 days

Having had a great year of observing, with regular sessions during spring and summer, on 14th September I just stopped. Not sure why, I just lost my interest in astronomy. I even stopped participating with SGL to a large extent. Well I'm pleased to say I am back and had an observing session last night. It was pretty windy but lovely and transparent. Due to the wind I used my heavy duty setup, the C8 on the Skytee. I couldn't work out what was going on with the scope at first, I had to rack the focus way in and then could not get a good image, then realised I had screwed in an F3.3 reducer by mistake! Got out the F6.3 and immediately dropped it on to the concrete patio - aargh. Amazingly no damage was done and I had a very enoyable couple of hours looking at a selection of doubles in and around Orion. The C8 was not the best scope for this in many ways (I think the Tal 100R would have shown more pleasing stars and has proven to be a great 'splitter') but was the only scope that would have coped with the buffeting - shows how having a selection of scopes can be useful in so many ways. I finished the session by greeting some old favourites, including M1 and M42, which the C8 showed wonderfully. 

A brief session, but great to be 'back in the saddle'. 

• Like 13

Welcome back, Robert.

Many people on here can attest to periods of inactivity, and there is nothing wrong with walking away for a few months if that is what it takes to regain your mojo.

3 hours ago, RobertI said:

shows how having a selection of scopes can be useful in so many ways

I believe that is what psychologists call 'rationalising' :)

• Haha 1

Nice to have you back, Rob. We all need a break sometimes. It's nice to know that the sky is always there waiting for us to look up ;) 

Cheers,

Reggie

• Thanks 1

Hi Rob, you're not alone mate. I too can go weeks at a time without getting out there sometimes. I'm always pleased I did when I do though :) 

I'm also on SGL less now days too as I'm spending more time making astronomy and camera videos for youtube. 

• Like 2

Welcome back. I have a very heavy cold at present but look forward to the evening when I can get the scope out again. So you not alone in in the desire not get back into the game.

Keith 

• Like 1

Glad your back, I work away a lot and find it's cloudy when I'm home and beautifully clear when away so get frustrated and can go weeks without viewing; always amazing though when you do go back out 

• Like 2

On ‎09‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 01:54, RobertI said:

I finished the session by greeting some old favourites, including M1 and M42, which the C8 showed wonderfully. 

Good to be back in the saddle and great way to and a session.

• Like 1

Well done Rob! I too have done some actual astronomy tonight (as opposed to the armchair variety), for the first time since late 2016/early 2017 - so long ago I can't even remember!😂. I spotted 46P in my bins from my overwhelmingly light polluted garden, averted vision only, but definitely there. Thought it would be rude not to have a quick look at the Hyades and Pleiades whilst in Taurus, the latter nicely framed in my field of view, and the former needing just a little scout-a-round. Finished off with a look straight up to check M31 is still there. It is. Although it was a very brief session, it was very enjoyable and may see me out again later for a better look at 46P, skies permitting.

• Like 2

Must have a look at 46P while I can. One thing I decided to do a while ago, in an attempt to get out more, was to make more of the time when the moon is out by doing the lunar 100 and some more double stars. So far I haven’t got very far, I probably need a good lunar book lying around to inspire me. The Atlas of the Moon by Charles Wood seems popular, might ask Santa.  🎅 

33 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Must have a look at 46P while I can. One thing I decided to do a while ago, in an attempt to get out more, was to make more of the time when the moon is out by doing the lunar 100 and some more double stars. So far I haven’t got very far, I probably need a good lunar book lying around to inspire me. The Atlas of the Moon by Charles Wood seems popular, might ask Santa.  🎅 

I got the 21st Century Atlas of the Moon, by Charles Wood, to encourage a bit more lunar observing and to do the Lunar 100. I think that’s the same atlas you’re referring to. Very good and have had some great sessions on the Moon as a result :) 

16 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

I got the 21st Century Atlas of the Moon, by Charles Wood, to encourage a bit more lunar observing and to do the Lunar 100. I think that’s the same atlas you’re referring to. Very good and have had some great sessions on the Moon as a result :) 

Thanks, yes that is the one, will definitely add to my list then! 🙂

• Like 1

On 09/12/2018 at 08:26, Lockie said:

Hi Rob, you're not alone mate. I too can go weeks at a time without getting out there sometimes. I'm always pleased I did when I do though :) 

I'm also on SGL less now days too as I'm spending more time making astronomy and camera videos for youtube. 

Got any links Chris?😊👍

Dave

I can fully sympathise with anyone losing interest in the hobby. 

I have not used my scope for a couple of months and although I have many great outings under my belt I just cant seem to get enthused about going out at present. My posting on SGL has also dwindled to a mere trickle but then again I hear from others I'm not on my own. Our local group thread has all but died which is sad to see when it was so active 3 years ago.

Viewing reports always peak my interest though and make me think about getting out again. The peace and tranquility of it all brings back so many good memories of the objects, hobby, places and people in it. 

Hope to see another report from you soon and keep on dragging that scope out to view the heavens. 

• Thanks 1

Nothing wrong with that. I have many interests and phase some out occasionally. Life's too short to pursue a hobby when you're not in the mood.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Got any links Chris?😊👍

Dave

Yes, @Lockie, more videos please Chris! I have loved the ones I've seen in your threads, you're getting very good at directing, producing and starring!!

• Like 1