Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Selborne

Iris Nebula NGC 7023 - Orion Ritchey Chretien 8"

Hi Guys,

I thought I would share with you my first DSO taken with my new Orion 8" Ritchey Chretien F8 Telescope.  The frame is made up of 12 x 4min shots, no light or dark frames, using my Sony A7Rii camera.  The camera had the long exposure noise reduction switched on, which does help to reduce the total number of stars captured by the camera, as the Sony A7Rii does tend to overdo the number of stars captured.  The telescope was mounted on my trusty skywatcher NEQ6 mount and the guiding was via PHD 'of course' via my skywatcher ED50 guide scope.

The shots were taken from my back garden in Stowmarket, Suffolk where I believe I am a Bortie 4 location, so the skies are mostly dark, with just a little light pollution from the main town, no filters used.

My normal telescope is a Skywatcher ED100 Pro Esprit F5.5, which is an incredibly sharp scope, but with a wide 550mm field of view, great for capturing the whole of Andromeda but a struggle with smaller images like the Iris Nebula.  I will say the Orion RC scope did need to be collimated out of the box, which was a little disappointing, and it was not just a little out of collimation, it was a long way out, but with the use of a collimating tool, I soon had it dialled in.  

First impressions of the Orion Ritchey Chretien 8" Telescope are fair, not super impressed, as it is nowhere near as sharp as my ED100 Esprit, but then this is to be expected based on price and telescope type, however, the pictures it has produced are pretty good, if you downscale the full 42MP from the Sony A7Rii camera, as can be seen in this picture.

I purchased this 8" Orion Ritchey Chretien OTA mainly for Planetary work, but as yet I have not had a chance to 'get onto' a planet, fingers crossed some clear nights will arrive soon, so I can try.

I welcome comments,

many thanks

Jamie

Iris Nebula NGC 7023 - 8%22 RC.jpg

• Like 12

Very nice first light.

Reflectors are a bit trickier than refractors. I think it's to be expected that they need collimation before first use. My 150PDS was so much out of alignment when I first used it, that the finder scope view wouldn't align with the main scope. As a newbie, it took me some time to figure out what was wrong. Even now, I always check collimation before use. With a barlowed laser, it only takes a few minutes. 

• Like 1

I was surprised how much out of collimation the scope was, like you stated yours was.   but now all is well.  

and thanks for the comment ?

regards, Jamie

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By The-MathMog
      Because of the current situation, I have, as many of you guys probably have too, spend a lot more time under the stars when possible.

It has literally been over a year since last I was out doing some astrophotography because of work.

So here is my second take after the long break, NGC 3344 (The Sliced Onion Galaxy).
      Initially I thought it would be a lot fainter than it was, so it was basically a shot in the dark, of just trying to get back at doing this.
      But the final image actually showed a lot more detail than I would've hoped for!
      Spring lent a lot of clear night, but those seems to be gone already. I would've hoped for a few more hours to add some more luminance data to it, as I did have to push it quite a bit.
      I am not too happy with the shape of the stars either. Guiding was not very stable through the night, even though balance and polar alignment seemed to be good. Might need to update my Celestron PEC data? 

Any advice or feedback is very welcome! 🤩
      NGC 3344 (Sliced Onion Galaxy)
      Flat and Dark calibrated
      Gain 111
      Offset 40
      Total Integration - 5 Hours 4 minutes  (LRGB)
      ZWO ASI 183MM-Pro
      Baader 2'' Neodymium Filter
      Baader 1,25'' RGB Filters
      ZWO Mini EFW
      Explore Scientific Coma Corrector
      ToupTek Camera G-1200-KMB Mono Guider
      Orion Mini 50mm Guidescope
      Photoshop CS2
      Deep Sky Stacker
      Stellarium/Stellarium Scope
      Astrotortilla

• By lalou
      Hi! I've recently acquired a new Astromodified Canon rebel XT and I've tried to take pictures of nebulas using it but I've noticed that there are these weird black artifacts that keep appearing in my images. Would like to know if anyone has experienced this before? Or are these dirt/dust specs on the camera, filter, and telescope glass? I've attached some of my edited and raw pictures for your reference. The black artifacts can already be seen in the raw image of the horsehead nebula and after stacking I think it got amplified. Anyway, advance thanks and I hope everyone's doing well.

• By alexbb
      I've been processing this image for quite a long now.
      I started acquiring data the last season when I only managed to shoot 3 panels with the Canon 6D through the Esprit 80 for a total of ~7h.
      This season I restarted and I added more data and covered a wider area. So a mix of portrait and landscape panels were planned and shot with the same scope and camera. Now every pixel represents at least 3-4h of integration, some have more.
      All the above were shot from Bortle 2-3 sites where I traveled sometimes even for an hour of exposure.
      To the RGB data I added 17.5h of Ha, same story with the panels. Some were oriented N-S, others E-W. These were shot with the SW 72ED and the ASI1600 from home and Bortle ~7.
      Then I figured out I still had time and I planned and shot 9 more panels of luminance with the 72ED and ASI1600, each consisting of 1h of exposure.
      I combined all of these into an image, processed it and for the Orion nebula and Running Man nebula I also blended some data I shot last season with the 130PDS and ASI1600 from home.
      Below it's my first final version of all data combined. You can watch it in full resolution on astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/full/jni0w8/ or Flickr: https://flic.kr/p/2iBGUXq

• By maxchess
      This may be an artifact, but I took this shot of the Orion Constellation from the Canary Islands and it showed a small nebula around Beteleguse. Do you think this is real? The shot was taken with a dual band filter which brings out the Ha.  I initially assumed it was a camera artifact, but I took more shots with different camera positions and it was still there.  There are some on-line articles about such a nebula. My first reaction was to edit it out, but I think it might be real and only visible because Beteleguse has dimmed by over 50%.  What do you think?
      Max

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.