Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

CentaurZ

Geminid Meteor Shower Peaks December 13-14

The annual Geminid Meteor Shower may already be underway. It is expected to peak during the night of 2018 DEC 13-14. Its radiant is in the constellation Gemini. That is the direction toward which the meteor tails point, but the meteors are equally likely to appear anywhere in your sky. The Geminids  are debris from the asteroid 3200 Phaethon.

The Geminids have been presenting an increasingly intense shower in recent years. At the peak between 120 and 160 meteors per hour may be seen by some sharp eyed folks. The show begins after Gemini rises in the early evening and intensifies until morning twilight. Although observers south of the tropics will have to wait until midnight. The waxing crescent Moon during the shower peak should not be much of a hindrance.

Descriptions of the shower or perhaps even lucky photos would be welcome additions to this thread.

Meteors.JPG.17aed01de4e7a1af7f26a06c36c59b04.JPG

Edited by CentaurZ
  • Like 1

I only remembered about the Gems last night. Not a hope of catching any. Its gray, raining and not expected to change for a couple of days. 

There's some clear sky here at the moment and the temperature is dropping like a stone, but the forecast is still "overcast" :(

James

I set up the past two nights. The first night, the 11th into the morning of the 12th, the visibility was incredible. Got three with the camera, one a very good image. 

But, alas, the night of the 12th started out with total high cloud cover, changing to intermittent broken high clouds. Still, I set up my camera. About 8pm, dressed for the mid 40's, I got into a sleeping bag on my gravity chair. 

With cloudy skies, I dozed in and out, looking up half asleep to curse the God's of weather.

Around midnight I awoke to see Orion in full view and a large area of clear star filled skies around him.

In about 30 minutes, I saw 10 or 12 meteors, but sadly got nothing on the  camera. By 12:45 the clouds set in again, so I retired to the couch inside.

The Geminids are one of my favourite showers. Rich, nice speed and great colour. Not so well-known as the Perseids but that's a seasonal thing I suppose.

3 hours ago, Waddensky said:

The Geminids are one of my favourite showers. Rich, nice speed and great colour. Not so well-known as the Perseids but that's a seasonal thing I suppose.

They are my favourite too, but haven't seen them in a few yrs due to weather. 

Last year they were very good for the giver of pleasure and pain, and myself.

We sat out in what's cold for Florida, low 40''s and she got to see easily 40 in an hour. Some were spectacular. She had never seen that many in her life.

But I always put my hopes on the Leonids.

The peak falls on my birthday and I dream of seeing several grace the night sky at the same moment. 

The thought of witnessing a true storm is like hitting the lotto.

Yesterday evening (13/12) it was suddenly clear over the Northwestern part of Germany. Around 11 pm, the Milky Way showed up quite nicely between Cassiopeia and Gemini. I went out to have a look at P46/Wirtanen and could see it for the first time with naked eyes in averted vision. I had forgotten about Geminids peaking but it was very obvious that they were. No comparison with the Perseids this year of which I hadn't seen a single one. Before clouds rolled in again yesterday, an amazing number of Geminids showed up. I did not count them exactly, having been overwhelmed, but it could have been about 12 bright meteors in 15 minutes observing time (when I did not look at Wirtanen with my binoculars).

Juergen

Saw a 7 out and about last night and walking the dog.

Started a serious watch between 00:01-01:01 this morning. During that time the entire western sky was clouded out but the all important SE sky was mainly perfectly clear. The observing area was between Taurus and Leo down to he horizon up to Capella centred at the Winter Triangle.

Activity seemed muted during the observing period and saw 23 Geminids and 1 sporadic between approximately magnitude +3 to -2.

The meteor times were spread out without  the bunching that often occur during showers but I did detect increased activity late in the period.The brightest Geminid   occurred at 00:10 with a magnitude -2 south of Leo.

Hi  meteor watchers.  I managed a near 2 hour watch of the Geminids during the early hours of Friday 14th, under pretty good sky conditions, a good horizon, and only intermittent light cloud low down in the North East. It was however, pretty cloudy early on in the night, and thus I was not able to commence meaningful observations until  around  03.00 hrs GMT, continuing up to about 05.15 hrs, by which time the skies were completely clear.  Unfortunately, by then, my feet had succumbed to frostbite, with temperatures plummeting  to --5 c  here in Worcestershire. I recorded about 64 meteors, the vast majority being Geminids, several of which were brighter than zero magnitude, including a brilliant orange fireball around 4 am, fragmenting not far from Ursa Major.  Nevertheless, the ZHR would appear to have been much lower than most predictions ( of 100 plus ). Possibly the peak occurred much earlier in the night when I was still clouded out ?  I would be interested to know what other observers experienced or their views on the matter.  Clear Skies    Chris.

• Like 1

I'm glad some viewers got some clear skies. It's sad to wait all year only to have the weather God's ruin your plans.

This season, I'm cursed with El Nino.

• Like 1

HI Bradley,

Maybe I was just unlucky with my watch this year but I reckon activity was about half that of normal.

Les.

The Geminids was on my list of 'things to do' this weekend whilst visiting Glasgow, and had hoped to view the show from nearby Loch Lomond, but the bad weather put a stop to any viewing that I was contemplating.