Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Intes Micro Maksutov

They are lovely scopes chaps - wish I had one ! :)

I had an Intes mak-newtonian a while back - similar bomb proof build and great optics. The Intes Micro's look even beetter put together though.

10 hours ago, John said:

They are lovely scopes chaps - wish I had one ! :)

I had an Intes mak-newtonian a while back - similar bomb proof build and great optics. The Intes Micro's look even beetter put together though.

I’ve not used mine much John, but the views through it even uncollimated and with a dodgy focuser were very promising. That has been sorted now, so as said, am looking forward to getting some lovely views with it. I am planning on trying out wrapping it with insulation to combat the cooling issues and dew.

Like others have said, M603 has been on my dream list for many years after using Russ's in the New Forest many years ago!. I had a near picture book visual of Saturn with stunning detail & colour. Thats a really smart looking scope Stu. Well Gel!

Best Rob

Another vote for the Intes scopes. My MN78 (Mak newt) is a fantastic scope. The sky, rather than optics, always seem to be the limit for views. Bombproof contruction.
I rarely put anything else on my obsy mount. Then again at around 20Kg tube weight, you have to think about moving it!

Can't say enough good words about it.

David.

6 hours ago, Stu said:

Looking good! Do you find it makes a noticeable difference?

@Stu

A bit of a mixed experiment to be honest.

Took the IM715 and a C6 out at 16:30 and started to observe at 17:00

The IM715 was not as thermally stable as the C6  - The out of focus star image in the IM showed a definite heat plume, the C6 did not !!!

As soon as I turned the IM fan on the heat plume disappeared and I was able to do a high power (x395) collimation of an in focus star's first diffraction ring using Scheat in Pegasus.

Then down to Mars at x263 with the fan on and I saw a dark equatorial region and a light coloured polar cap. Then turned the fan off and the view went softer with less detail - which is how it normally behaves without the reflectix.

The big difference was that the corrector did not dew up like it normally does, I left the scope tracking Scheat for 3 hours (approx 60' high) with no dew forming on the corrector - it definitely would have without the reflectix.

So - no great gain in thermal stability - I don't know why, but a big gain in dew prevention.

Need to have a think now about how I can get better thermal stability - I already used two layers of reflectix - maybe I need to block the front ventilation holes and the rear fan exhaust and cover the whole of the rear of the OTA with reflectix .........

Very happy with the dew prevention though ?

PS - the C6 at x250 showed the same features as the IM715 but had less contrast so the details were slightly harder to see.

On 09/12/2018 at 20:42, dweller25 said:

@Stu

A bit of a mixed experiment to be honest.

Took the IM715 and a C6 out at 16:30 and started to observe at 17:00

The IM715 was not as thermally stable as the C6  - The out of focus star image in the IM showed a definite heat plume, the C6 did not !!!

As soon as I turned the IM fan on the heat plume disappeared and I was able to do a high power (x395) collimation of an in focus star's first diffraction ring using Scheat in Pegasus.

Then down to Mars at x263 with the fan on and I saw a dark equatorial region and a light coloured polar cap. Then turned the fan off and the view went softer with less detail - which is how it normally behaves without the reflectix.

The big difference was that the corrector did not dew up like it normally does, I left the scope tracking Scheat for 3 hours (approx 60' high) with no dew forming on the corrector - it definitely would have without the reflectix.

So - no great gain in thermal stability - I don't know why, but a big gain in dew prevention.

Need to have a think now about how I can get better thermal stability - I already used two layers of reflectix - maybe I need to block the front ventilation holes and the rear fan exhaust and cover the whole of the rear of the OTA with reflectix .........

Very happy with the dew prevention though ?

PS - the C6 at x250 showed the same features as the IM715 but had less contrast so the details were slightly harder to see.

Interesting result. I think a more complete wrap may help improve things. @chiltonstar has been leading the way on this, a very neat example of how to do it. I doubt mine will look that neat!

Archived