SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

It's looking bleak

geordie85

I guess I'm not holding up much hope for the Geminids meteor shower this year. 

Hopefully a butterfly in the amazon will flaps its wings harder than usual and clear my skies for me. 

Does anyone have a clear forecast at the moment? 

Screenshot_20181208-145033.png

I’ve had my HEQ5 and DSLR for just over 3 weeks and a combination of waiting for a few bits to come in the post to mount the camera properly, night shifts and bad weather I haven’t been able to get out. 

Tonight there looked to be a window of about an hour so went for it !

I got as set up as I could in the garage earlier then set up outside and needed to pop back in the garage and literally 2-3 minutes later it had clouded over and started to rain. Cue a mad dash to get it all back in the garage.....not frustrating at all ?

Talk about curse of new gear but this is driving me nuts now.  

Clear here, air nice and still and just a few wispy clouds that are scattering. Not doing any imaging just visual -  on and around Orion at the moment. Hope it clears for you later folks.

Jim 

Just got back in after a brief but enjoyable spot of visual with the bins. No point in even thinking of imaging as it's blowing too much.

The sky cleared about 10o/c, but cloud started to come over. Could only really tell because the stars were vanishing.

Last year the forecast was rubbish however, a call of nature woke me about 4 a.m.

In a fully clear 'window' of 30 mins and part clear of 30 mins I saw about 40 geminids and imaged 15+.

Will be up early hours Friday, just in case.

Good luck everyone!

Paul

PS Looks like some clear this evening (Sunday).

Well, after a chucking-down sort of Saturday, today's been rather good here. The sky's nice and clear ATM, with the Milky way very clear. Even saw an early Geminid meteor. Instead of traffic and planes, the soundtrack to my observing was the sheep in the field opposite. :grin:

Not so much rain forecast here for the next week, but almost permanent cloud cover after this evening.  Still, they get tomorrow's weather wrong so often that I consider the forecast for five days hence to be no better than wishful thinking.

James

We had a few clear days, but it is bleak now with some rain tonight.
Was hoping to see the new moon last night, but it was already foggy/cloudy
Earlier this week took advantage of one very clear night!
We can use the rain and we ned more and not complaining!

I did see the thinnest little sliver of a Moon this evening as I was tidying away tools after working on the observatory.  For reasons I don't understand that first tiny little crescent Moon is one of my favourite things to see in the sky.

James

Archived