Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p.thumb.jpg.9baae12eeb853c863abc6d2cf3df5968.jpg

SmoothOperator

Sky-Watcher Skyliner 200p

Hi all, hope you’re well

just wanted an opinion on the Skyliner 200p dob as I think this is the telescope I want to buy as my first.

all thoughts and opinions are appreciated!

Hello and welcome to the forum.

The Skyliner 200P is probably one of the most popular scopes on this forum for the visual observer. It offers excellent performance potential per £ spent and shows great views of the planets, the moon, double stars and deep sky objects.

As long as you are happy to find your targets yourself and track manually it's difficult to think of a better introduction to visual astronomy and one that will maintain a longer term interest as well.

The detail on the Moon will blow you away, and Jupiter although quite small ( I'd like to see a larger image given the same scope?) allowed  me enough detail to observe the shadow of one of the Moons ( Io ) passing by.  That said, conditions were perfect  (better than normal ) that night, apart from the street lighting!

Not seen much in the way of other planets, due to my access and limited view of the sky (surrounded by structures and a tall tree line) and some  seriously poor weather conditions over many months, due to where I live,  in-fact its blowing a gale outside as I'm typing.

The 200P is an easy scope to use and set up. There are larger apertures ( better for visual )  but the 8"200P is manoeuvrable ( transportable by car when separated from its mount)   I  can carry fully assembled from within the house to anywhere in my fairly small garden.

You won't go far wrong with the Skyliner if all you want is a basic, yet capable telescope for visual observations.

The 60° ED  BST Starguiders work very well too on this scope, if your  also considering what eyepieces to purchase?

The focal ratio of the Skyliner being f/6 does not require a premium eyepiece in order to get better results.  I have tried  various eyepieces that are reportedly  'better' but found them no better for my needs so far!
An eyepiece will, at the end of the day, be only as good as you think it is? Some will say better eyepieces exist, and they probably do,  to some extent, but you wont know until you get  one and  try for yourself.
I have tried this myself, and I remain happy with what's in my signature.

Not sure of where in England you reside, or just how dark your environment is ( the darker the better, meaning no man-made light pollution to spoil your night vision, but if you have those conditions available on your door step, the 200P should be fine. If conditions are less than, then maybe get the scope transported to another site, and reap the reward.
Also any clubs nearby, where you could possibly look for yourself,  through someones scope in order to see what is possible through the Skyliner. 

My first scope bought second hand was not to my liking ( I also knew less back then!) and I quickly went for the Skyliner based on reports from other users here.
Apart from still wanting to see physically larger images ( the scope has  a limit ) I have no other issues with this scopes performance.

I'm hoping for 'better' views this season due to the change from sodium to LED street lighting, which has made my observatory somewhat darker, meaning once  my eyes are dark adapted, I should see more using the same combination!!!!!!

Edited by Charic
  • Like 1

You’d be hard pressed to find another scope which will provide you with as many years of great observing, and be as versatile as the 200p. From the point of view of a beginner learning his way around the sky, a dob of that size is ideal, no fussing around with computers and aligning, just you, the scope, and the sky above. 

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 1

Great choice - I got its slightly bigger brother the 250px as my 1st scope and loved it.

(pick up a Telrad for it!!!)

Edited by niallk

A Skyliner 200P is a great all-round scope that will perform fine on both solar system and deep-sky objects. Keep in mind that the tube is very large and the base is quite heavy, it might be a bit inconvenient if you need to move it around a lot. I have no trouble myself with the size and weight of this scope, but it's something to keep in mind. The eyepieces included are good enough to get you started and there's an incredible amount of nice objects to observe with an 8".

Really appreciate all your feedback guys and now I just can’t wait to get my scope. Could you suggest any accessories that work well with the 200p such as eyepieces that you think may improve my views, ease of setup and just general stargazing experience.

Edited by SmoothOperator

Welcome to SGL.

The usual, sage, advice, is to get to know your 'scope, with its supplied eyepieces, before spending any more money.

I have found, with my 250px, that a 32mm Plossl is an economical way of getting a wider view (than you get with the supplied 25mm), and a Skywatcher/Celestron/Synta (all same company) 8-24mm zoom will enable you to optimise the magnification/visual clarity compromise. A x2 Barlow lens will effectively double the number of eyepieces.

Geoff

• Like 2

On 08/12/2018 at 21:29, SmoothOperator said:

Really appreciate all your feedback guys and now I just can’t wait to get my scope. Could you suggest any accessories that work well with the 200p such as eyepieces that you think may improve my views, ease of setup and just general stargazing experience.

I second the advice to first start observing and learn your telescope before deciding on accessoires. If it turns out you like deep-sky observing, a nice narrowband filter (UHC type) is a great addition to your set-up. If you're more of a plantetary or double star observer, a barlow of focal extender might be a good investment. Just enjoy your new scope, and you'll undoubtedly discover what kind of accessoires you need.

A truly great scope the 200p.could last you a lifetime if you take care of it.you'll have to spend really big to better it .get some bst eyepieces and enjoy the views.well that's my opinion and that counts as far as I'm concerned. If your unsure go to a local club and see what a 200p is  like to use.

Here's mine.

20181024_200405.jpg

Edited by fiestazetecmk2
More info
  • Like 1

Put an extension tube to the top of your tube to avoid stray light from entering on the side. I used a foot-long piece of rolled up foam camping mat, lined with matt black paper, to the front end of my 8-incher.

I shouldn't think you'd be disappointed with the 200p, it's cheap, simple to use, and even under light polluted skies has enough power to start venturing into the difficult to see stuff, like deep sky objects. Plenty of people find that it's all they ever want from a scope.

As to accessories, I agree that it's best to see how you get on with the basic kit before throwing any money at it. What you are given is enough to get you going, and over a few sessions you'll start to figure out what may be lacking, and what new eyepieces you need to plug the gaps. This way you can make an informed (and economical) decision about what you need. There was lots that I was sure I'd need when I first started, but after 4 years all I really ended up getting was a couple of filters to bring out nebulae (don't use them very much), and while the four eyepieces I've got nicely cover the range of pretty much anything I'd want, really it's the 32mm and the 10mm that get by far the most use.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2018 at 15:20, fiestazetecmk2 said:

A truly great scope the 200p.could last you a lifetime if you take care of it.you'll have to spend really big to better it .get some bst eyepieces and enjoy the views.well that's my opinion and that counts as far as I'm concerned. If your unsure go to a local club and see what a 200p is  like to use.

Here's mine.

20181024_200405.jpg

Hi fiestazetecmk2Thanks for the help. just wanted to say i think your scope looks fantastic! just out of curiosity, from the standard skyliner you recieve, what mods and attachments have you added to it? i think i see fine adjustment handles which i think is something i will be interested in adding somewhere down the line.

Hi and thanks for comments. 

Ok here goes.

Lazy susan .

Az/alt mods .very smooth indeed.it makes fine adjustments without loosing objects which allow you to track so well.

Water butt.just give hieght .also keeps base off the  damp grass.

Ts optics 60mm finderscope.used with 8 24 zoom makes finding things easier.

Skywatcher battery powered focuser.

I've also got 2 hoods which I made .

I did put the mods on the site as I made it. Look under Diy section .

I've also fitted 2 base locks  needed for transporting purposes.stops the base rotating .

Nite glow stickers help when using. 

It did take me some time to complete.but it's all been well worthwhile it's a pleasure to use.

Power steering for a dob.

And everything can be removed so it can be put back to as it was originally.