Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_inspirational_skies_winners.thumb.jpg.94f78e21c195e385c5621d89ea0b51b9.jpg

orion25

Mars & Neptune Conjunction 6 December 2018

I've been waiting on this conjunction all year and I got clear skies to photograph it! Mars & Neptune will be closest on December 7th but even tonight they fit in a low power telescopic view. So, I couldn't resist! Here they are in a single 6 second exposure at F/29, ISO 800 using my Nikon D3200 and my Orion 127mm Mak-Cass:

372516243_ASTRONOMY-MARSNEPTUNECONJUNCTION12-06-18.thumb.jpg.9c0911b6f4c4b61167046cdfd6d4e61a.jpg

Don't you just love Neptune's distinctive blue hue? It contrasts well with Mars.

Cheers!

Reggie :) 

• Like 12

Very nice. I am hoping to have clear skies this Friday evening to see this as they are supposed to be very close just before Mars/Neptune rise later today. Should be great to see.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Reg. It's a pretty pair!

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Star101 said:

Very nice. I am hoping to have clear skies this Friday evening to see this as they are supposed to be very close just before Mars/Neptune rise later today. Should be great to see.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for looking! I'm going to be out there tomorrow night , too! ;) 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ruud said:

Thanks, Reg. It's a pretty pair!

Thank you, Ruud! Great to hear from you. Tomorrow night, they will be their closest for this conjunction. :) 

1 hour ago, orion25 said:

I've been waiting on this conjunction all year and I got clear skies to photograph it! Mars & Neptune will be closest on December 7th but even tonight they fit in a low power telescopic view. So, I couldn't resist! Here they are in a single 6 second exposure at F/29, ISO 800 using my Nikon D3200 and my Orion 127mm Mak-Cass:

372516243_ASTRONOMY-MARSNEPTUNECONJUNCTION12-06-18.thumb.jpg.9c0911b6f4c4b61167046cdfd6d4e61a.jpg

Don't you just love Neptune's distinctive blue hue? It contrasts well with Mars.

Cheers!

Reggie :) 

Brilliant

Clouded in here so thanks for sharing

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

Brilliant

Clouded in here so thanks for sharing

No problem, David. I love this kind of thing! :D 

I have been watching clearoutside throughout the week increase the cloud levels for 6pm tonight. It has now risen to just under 20%. Mind you, it's telling me that the probability of precipitation right now is 81% and that is 19% out, so still hoping ...

2 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

I have been watching clearoutside throughout the week increase the cloud levels for 6pm tonight. It has now risen to just under 20%. Mind you, it's telling me that the probability of precipitation right now is 81% and that is 19% out, so still hoping ...

I hope you get at least a glimpse of this great conjunction, DP. :) 

• Thanks 1

Fantastic. Love these events. Forgot to see that in last night's clear skies, and obviously clouds expected tonight...

• Thanks 1

Thanks, PGM. Clouds were forecast for Friday (at least partly), and I used my Starry Night software to determine their distance on the nights around the closest conjunction and realized that Mars and Neptune would be within a low telescopic view on December 6 as well. So, I seized the opportunity. I hope the forecaster for your region is mistaken this time so you can glimpse this event :)

Reggie

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Nice one Reggie.

Thanks, Neil. I was fortunate to catch the conjunction Thursday night because cloud took over on Friday, lol.

• Like 1