Narrowband

Mars & Neptune Conjunction 6 December 2018

orion25

I've been waiting on this conjunction all year and I got clear skies to photograph it! Mars & Neptune will be closest on December 7th but even tonight they fit in a low power telescopic view. So, I couldn't resist! Here they are in a single 6 second exposure at F/29, ISO 800 using my Nikon D3200 and my Orion 127mm Mak-Cass:

372516243_ASTRONOMY-MARSNEPTUNECONJUNCTION12-06-18.thumb.jpg.9c0911b6f4c4b61167046cdfd6d4e61a.jpg

Don't you just love Neptune's distinctive blue hue? It contrasts well with Mars.

Cheers!

Reggie :) 

Very nice. I am hoping to have clear skies this Friday evening to see this as they are supposed to be very close just before Mars/Neptune rise later today. Should be great to see.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing.

19 minutes ago, Star101 said:

Very nice. I am hoping to have clear skies this Friday evening to see this as they are supposed to be very close just before Mars/Neptune rise later today. Should be great to see.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for looking! I'm going to be out there tomorrow night , too! ;) 

1 hour ago, orion25 said:

I've been waiting on this conjunction all year and I got clear skies to photograph it! Mars & Neptune will be closest on December 7th but even tonight they fit in a low power telescopic view. So, I couldn't resist! Here they are in a single 6 second exposure at F/29, ISO 800 using my Nikon D3200 and my Orion 127mm Mak-Cass:

372516243_ASTRONOMY-MARSNEPTUNECONJUNCTION12-06-18.thumb.jpg.9c0911b6f4c4b61167046cdfd6d4e61a.jpg

Don't you just love Neptune's distinctive blue hue? It contrasts well with Mars.

Cheers!

Reggie :) 

Brilliant

Clouded in here so thanks for sharing

2 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

I have been watching clearoutside throughout the week increase the cloud levels for 6pm tonight. It has now risen to just under 20%. Mind you, it's telling me that the probability of precipitation right now is 81% and that is 19% out, so still hoping ...

I hope you get at least a glimpse of this great conjunction, DP. :) 

Thanks, PGM. Clouds were forecast for Friday (at least partly), and I used my Starry Night software to determine their distance on the nights around the closest conjunction and realized that Mars and Neptune would be within a low telescopic view on December 6 as well. So, I seized the opportunity. I hope the forecaster for your region is mistaken this time so you can glimpse this event :)

Reggie

On 11/12/2018 at 10:46, sloz1664 said:

Hi Reggie, that is a great image. Yes I love the bluish hue of Neptune. It's hard to think it's 2.7 billion miles away ?

Steve

Thanks, Steve. I was happy that the color translated well in the image. It IS amazing to think that Neptune is sooooo far away!

Archived