Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p.thumb.jpg.9baae12eeb853c863abc6d2cf3df5968.jpg

George Gearless

Nikon d40x. Is this normal?

I recently aquired an older (2009) DSLR Nikon d40x with the intention to use it for astro photography.

As 'instructed' by virtualy all members on this forum, I am using the RAW format.

I have been somewhat successful in getting some pictures. But nothing I'll post here. I am still learning.

But one thing annoys me tremendously: When I attempt a 30sec exposure (that's the max my AZ mount can handle), the camera takes another approx. 30 seconds to process the picture before it's ready to take another one. The shorter the exposure, the shorter the processing time. Makes sense. But I am wondering if the long process time is normal. Even for newer cameras?

27 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

There should be an option in the menus to turn long exposure noise reduction off.

There is. I deliberately left it on because I assumed reducing noise was a good thing. It never occured to me otherwise.

Thanks a heap. I'll definately try that out next time.

• Like 1

The idea is you turn off any in camera noise reduction as for astro use it has a habit of wiping out stars. You can take your own calibration files to manage noise in the stacking process when creating your finished image.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

The idea is you turn off any in camera noise reduction as for astro use it has a habit of wiping out stars. You can take your own calibration files to manage noise in the stacking process when creating your finished image.

I see you are located in England. Even so, if you listen carefully, you can in a easternly direction hear the destinct sound of someone slapping his forehead.

*Sigh* I have so much to learn .