Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_constellations.thumb.jpg.6034fe99df7fe590f77a776877551964.jpg

Rodd

NGC 2359 from waste basket to passable

I decided to let the rig run unattended between 12:00 and 4:30 last night on Thor's Helmet.  It is really the only target in a suitable position to allow me to do this without risking a pier (tripod) collision.  The clouds broke at 12:00 as forecasted (imagine that!).  I would have much rather collected more broadband data as the Moon was not out, but I had to get up for work and could not man the ship as it were.  Too bad.  My focuser temperature compensation worked great the previous night while collected red subs for NGC 1333--but last night I think it had trouble, as FWHM crept up all night.  Originally I was going to delete the subs straight away but then decided to calibrate them and take a look at what I had.  I ended up throwing out 25 5 min subs and keeping only 31.  58 would have made all the difference.  The focus was not very good, though I managed to hide that a bit.  Noise too was high too.  I don't think I will continue with a colored image.  I was looking forward to a widefield shot of this iconic target.     Two versions--normal orientation (I shot it in the first image's orientation)--Most like the second orientation, including me.                                                                      

Ha-31-2a.thumb.jpg.9d40d76d5c39d1a1119ff00159f9f3bc.jpg

Ha-31-2ar.jpg

Edited by Rodd
  • Like 6

I like the view of that helmet floating in space. What filter did you use on this?

I think it looks quite good Rodd, as long as you refrain from pixel peeping (for that you need more data). It is a striking object and I like the wide field so I think it woul be worth while to get more data if you have more nights where you can leave it running after midnight. More data would possibly also bring out more interesting structures in the sky.