Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another M33

astro mick

Hi.

This was images a couple of nights ago using a 72ED scope and a Atik 414L+ ccd.

It is an LRGB combination all captured at Bin 1x1.

I took 3hrs of Luminance, and 1hr each of RGB.

I calibrated with darks and flats.

M33 is high in the sky at the mo,so this involved a meridian flip shortly after about an hour.(that was fun>>>NOT.

Mostly processed in Photo-shop.

Cheers.

Mick.

M33b.png

The outer regions of M33 are a brute to process, their isn't much colour and there is lots of indistinct faint outer brightness which just looks messy!  It's a very untidy galaxy. You have pulled out the luminance nicely so just need to convert that pink in the core to a nice golden yellow. 

57 minutes ago, MartinB said:

The outer regions of M33 are a brute to process, their isn't much colour and there is lots of indistinct faint outer brightness which just looks messy!  It's a very untidy galaxy. You have pulled out the luminance nicely so just need to convert that pink in the core to a nice golden yellow. 

Er ok Martin.

Great detail there but a bit pinkish as the others pointed out. Hope you do not mind that I checked if I could adjust the colour away from pink using PS. First by making it into a lab color image and playing with the a and b curves (after anchoring them in the center) and then turning it back to RGB and using Selective Color to move the magenta towards yellow. Finally I used Gradient Exterminator to even out the background a bit. This was just a quick and dirty test to see what can be done and you can probably do it better on your full 16 bit version.

M33bGN.png

27 minutes ago, astro mick said:

Hi Gorran.

This was my aim all along,but could not achieve it.It does look a lot better now,and thanks to your short tutorial,i will have another go with my data.

Thanks to all for your advice.

Mick.

If you have not tried the lab color method for color adjustment it is done like this:

Go to the top menu and chose Image -> Mode -> Lab Color

Then go to curves and chose first the a channel and anchor the curve in the middle and drag it up and down and see what is does to your image. Then do the same with the be channel. You can go back and forth between a and b until it looks ok. This is what it looks like with the central anchorpoint (in PS CS5 for Mac) and points on each side to move the curves up or down.

Afterwards you go to Image -> Mode -> RGB

and continue playing with the image. A good start is to see what you can do with the magenta using Selective Color. Hue/Saturation is probably also something to play with.

Göran

Skärmavbild 2018-12-06 kl. 09.45.32.png

Archived