Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants_winners.thumb.jpg.a13d54fa405efa94ed30e7abd590ee55.jpg

louizi

what am I doing wrong

Wow, I can’t possibly offer any advice considering the amount of help you all extended this gentleman, I have to say there’s no place like SGL, truly.

• Like 1

I intend following the moon till full moon. I really wish I can keep photolog of what I see

36 minutes ago, Alan64 said:

There's a lot to see of the Moon, from phase to phase

10 minutes ago, louizi said:

I intend following the moon till full moon. I really wish I can keep photolog of what I see

Smaller telescopes, like several of my own, are well suited for double-star observations.  There are quite a few amateurs who observe only double-stars.  When seen with just the eye, such stars appear as one star, but then you increase the power and split them in two.  Often, the two are of different colours; Alberio, for example...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albireo#/media/File:NewAlbireo.jpg

That's probably the easiest one of all to split.

I will try my telescope on Orion as you advised. Luckilly the constellation is one I can easily reconize.

Thank you again for making this an interesting and guarded experience. Sm most grateful

22 minutes ago, Alan64 said:

Smaller telescopes, like several of my own, are well suited for double-star observations.  There are quite a few amateurs who observe only double-stars.  When seen with just the eye, such stars appear as one star, but then you increase the power and split them in two.  Often, the two are of different colours; Alberio, for example...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albireo#/media/File:NewAlbireo.jpg

That's probably the easiest one of all to split.

Where is this one located?

2 hours ago, louizi said:

Where is this one located?

Here's the full article from which that image was derived...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albireo

The programme, Stellarium, was mentioned earlier...

https://stellarium.org/

Have you downloaded it and tried it out?  It's free, and it's not that hard to use.  You enter your location and see how the sky looks in your area at any time of day or night.  I just opened the location-window of mine, and I found both Abuja and Lagos listed, at least.  Besides that, you can enter your precise coordinates for your exact location, if I'm not mistaken.  There are object-toggles at the bottom of the screen, and if you activate them you will see everything that's in the sky at that time, the planets and deep-sky objects.  I used Stellarium to find M13 back in 2015, the globular star-cluster in Hercules, and via star-hopping.  I then took that snapshot of it.

8 hours ago, louizi said:

I really wish I can keep photolog of what I see

Although I don't do so, lots of people on SGL sketch what they see and keep a log book.  You might not have something that you can use to take a photo-log, but maybe you could spend some time with a sketch book?

• Like 1